• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent pick retainers under cheek piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction here? I’m going to be building two Kibler rifles as soon as the kits arrive and I really would like to furnish them with the vent pick under the cheek piece like in the picture. how is this done correctly? What materials are used? What do they usually make a vent pick like this out of?

Attachments

• EE305A21-815B-4CE6-8451-36FCF8A80DE9.jpeg
    EE305A21-815B-4CE6-8451-36FCF8A80DE9.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 163
IMO, the wire loop type vent pick holders shown in the picture would be suitable for a Southern or Tennessee style rifle where function is more important than appearance.
Some of the muzzleloading supply parts companies offer brass or nickle silver vent pick holders that are more suitable for the Pennsylvania made rifles.
Here is a picture that shows one style:
Kent1.jpg

Then, I believe an early way to store a vent pick is shown on this "early" rifle:
TRANS-WEG.jpg

The vent pick only appears to be a wire loop at the rear of the cheek rest and it is stored in a hole that was burned in from the rear with a red hot wire.

"Cheekpiece" is the normal term used.

The little wire staples under the cheekpiece are just that. Little wire staples. Made from nails or other wire the right size, driven into place. Depends on just who you talk to whether these are intended for a vent pick or a feather. I lean pretty strongly towards feather (the feather would be used to try to plug up the vent in foul weather and save the charge).

Back