• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So just cause I'm thinking about it right now..... I've got a .32 cal pedersoli Kentucky I built and the vent liner protrudes into the breech. So I have to remove it to clean the gun. Is this normal? Would I be in the wrong to find a way to blue the protruding part and then file or cut it down? Lathe is out of commission at the moment. I don't think I could chuck it in the 3 jaw and we don't have a collet head at home. I don't really like taking it out every time I shoot it.

I have two flintlock long guns at present. One is a pedersoli bess with no liner the other a 45 cal rifle with a Rice swamped barrel with a vent liner. What is the purpose of a vent liner. None of my three previous long guns had vent liners and I never saw the need for one. Dont know if my rice barrel vent protrudes inside the barrel or not as I don't have a bore camera. Just curious

So just cause I'm thinking about it right now..... I've got a .32 cal pedersoli Kentucky I built and the vent liner protrudes into the breech. So I have to remove it to clean the gun. Is this normal? Would I be in the wrong to find a way to blue the protruding part and then file or cut it down? Lathe is out of commission at the moment. I don't think I could chuck it in the 3 jaw and we don't have a collet head at home. I don't really like taking it out every time I shoot it.
Unfortunately, this is a problem with the mass produced imports. Some come out right on, but they don't care so much for quality as they do profit. There is not a good way to properly correct it unless you want to got through the hoops of shortening the barrel and then properly locate the liner, which creates its own problems. Sorry, you're kind of stuck with it.

It sure makes removing a dry ball easier don't have to poke so much through the flash hole .... Other than that some of them are coned and allow a small part of the charge to be closer to the prime..... Outside of being a repair though I couldn't give you a real reason..... The pedersoli came with one though

Unfortunately, this is a problem with the mass produced import. There is not a good way to properly correct it unless you want to got through the hoops of shortening the barrel and properly locate the liner, which creates its own problems. Sorry, you're kind of stuck with it.
I can take it right out I was just wondering about removing the section that sticks into the barrel. It's not like it's adding anything strength wise or anything.

It's not hard to make you another, use a stainless steel threaded rod, cone the inside, screw it in, until it protrudes, then back it out, cut it off and drill and file flush...I guess you could Locktite it if you like but I never have bothered...

I can take it right out I was just wondering about removing the section that sticks into the barrel. It's not like it's adding anything strength wise or anything.
No, you can't remove the section that protrudes into the touch hole liner. The end of the breech plug MUST lay on the end of the flat in the barrel. There is no exception. I think you are not qualified enough to attempt this yourself. No insult intended.

No, you can't remove the section that protrudes into the touch hole liner. The end of the breech plug MUST lay on the end of the flat in the barrel. There is no exception. I think you are not qualified enough to attempt this yourself. No insult intended.
Built a lot of guns not to be qualified...... I think you are confused on what I'm saying. The vent liner itself protrudes into the bore. My ram rod hits the vent liner itself and if I take it out it goes all the way to the breech face. Perhaps one should read a little more closely before they answer with something they are concerned enough to add no insult intended too..... I could easily re-breech the whole barrel of I wanted but that wasn't the question or even close..... In fact I have no clue what you're talking about but I didn't go to school to be a machinist for no reason.....

I think he’s asking about shortening the vent liner, could be mistaken.

i measure the barrel thickness and grind the vent liner to just come flush with the rifling. then i cone the inside and polish it.
protruding into the chamber hangs up the cleaning patches, collects fouling, and sometimes has caused a delay in ignition.
some builders will locate the liner to just clear the breech face with the flash hole. this also stops the vent flush and then the outside of the liner is filed flush with the flat. it also locks the breech plug, making it necessary to remove the liner to be able to remove the plug.
my personal like is to just clear the breech face with the threads of the liner. seems to me it gives the most consistent ignition.
ymmv.

Built a lot of guns not to be qualified...... I think you are confused on what I'm saying. The vent liner itself protrudes into the bore. My ram rod hits the vent liner itself and if I take it out it goes all the way to the breech face. Perhaps one should read a little more closely before they answer with something they are concerned enough to add no insult intended too..... I could easily re-breech the whole barrel of I wanted but that wasn't the question or even close..... In fact I have no clue what you're talking about but I didn't go to school to be a machinist for no reason.....
Okay, I took two years of machine shop, so I'm not stupid. You never said the length of the touch hole liner is the problem. The solution is elementary.

He is asking about the vent liner. It's not a big deal to remove it, take it to the bench grinder and make sparks. Reinstall and check, repeat till it's flush with the inside of the bore.
This is exactly right I was just making sure there wasn't some magical hidden pitfall I was unaware of and didn't see..... Figured I've probably got access to several hundred years of collective experience here and it would be a shame not to use it.

Okay, I took two years of machine shop, so I'm not stupid. You never said the length of the touch hole is the problem. The solution is elementary.
Holy manure man I never said you were stupid I said you didn't read carefully enough..... I definitely said the vent liner was too long and protrudes into the breech not the breech plug....

Hey Cap popper sorry you had to go through that. WOW. You might check your pedersoli. I would bet it has a patent breech. Just about all pedersoli rifles do. You can fix this two ways. The first is to remove the liner and shine a light into the threaded hole where the liner came out of and take a caliper and extend the rod end of the caliper down to where it is just shy of the chamber opening. Then put one of the jaws of the caliper against the face of your liner and the other jaw against the threads. This will tell you how long your liner should be. Method two would be to shorten it a little at a time until your jag and patch do not hang up. Once again sorry you had to go through that. Pioneer flinter.

Back