• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vent Hole Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky rifle and was doing a cleaning on it. The barrel is in perfect shape as far as the bore goes but I cannot remove the vent hole liner. Any tips on removing these? I had it soaking all night with WD-40 hoping that would loosen it but it didn't work. Also I had read that there was a best size for the hole diameter. Can anyone recommend what size is best?

I tried doing a search here but can't find the answers I was wanting. This is my first Flintlock so I am learning. I have been shooting BP for 30 years or so and thought I would give rock locks a try.

I measured the hole in the vent hole liner and it will admit a .076 drill but not a .078 drill bit

Why do you want to remove it?

Generally there is no need to ever remove a liner except for barrel work or installing a new liner. If you choose to install a new liner drill the hole out to 1/16". All mine were opened to just 1/16" and ignition is nearly flawless.

I'd remove the barrel from the stock, plug the vent hole with a tooth pick,

I tried the toothpick. The hole is too big. I made a stopper from a round piece of wood I whittled to fit. I haven't messed with the liner since then.

A little trick I learned some years ago that works better than Kroil oil is a homemade mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone (50/50). The acetone thins the tranny fluid and allows it to seep into threads. Let soak for a few days and life is good. I've never had the mixture hurt a barrel finish, but your mileage may vary.

In doing a search here I ran across that formula in an older thread. I will try that. I have the acetone. Not sure about the tranny fluid.

As I mentioned earlier the vent hole now is .076. Thats sounds like the top size allowed. I am going to shoot the gun first before I go crazy on getting the old liner out. I need to order some flints from TOW and I will go ahead and order the liner and I bet they know what size I will need. Even if not needed I like having spares.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

I tried the toothpick. The hole is too big. I made a stopper from a round piece of wood I whittled to fit. I haven't messed with the liner since then.

In doing a search here I ran across that formula in an older thread. I will try that. I have the acetone. Not sure about the tranny fluid.

As I mentioned earlier the vent hole now is .076. Thats sounds like the top size allowed. I am going to shoot the gun first before I go crazy on getting the old liner out. I need to order some flints from TOW and I will go ahead and order the liner and I bet they know what size I will need. Even if not needed I like having spares.
I keep a few vent liners in my muzzleloader gun box for the just in case also. They're cheap enough to keep a few handy like extra flints.

Kroil or acetone/automatic trans oil 50/50 are the best for loosening seized parts. soak for at least 12 hours.

Leave it ALONE and shoot it:rolleyes:. It will work just fine. If you shoot competitively and your scores are not winning scores, (not from your poor shooting skills) then you will want to change that touch hole liner otherwise leave it alone.:thumb:;)

I make my own vent liners for the last 30 years and have never removed one to clean or needed to replace. No need to for cleaning. New to you shoot it, it may IMHO be fine.

Don't fix what isn't broke.
I also make my own out of A-2 tool steel and am wondering how well they will hold up. I'm thinking the high chrome content will give them good erosion resistance but time will tell. I leave them in the annealed state so they will be easier to drill and eazy-out if and when the time comes. Makes one wonder how the old timers were able to survive just fine without vent liners at all ! 😄

Last edited:
Bought a "Kentucky" flintlock from Gunbrokers, it came with the vent hole liner missing. As near as I can figure out its a 3/1 16. And I cannot find one anywhere. I don't have a shop, Any suggestions? Gun is custom made and not very well, supposedly store owner sold it for an old guy who came in and asked for help. I contacted the guy I bought it from ( gun store ) and he didn't know what a vent hole liner was. May be an expensive lesson. Thanks for any help.

Bought a "Kentucky" flintlock from Gunbrokers, it came with the vent hole liner missing. As near as I can figure out its a 3/1 16. And I cannot find one anywhere. I don't have a shop, Any suggestions? Gun is custom made and not very well, supposedly store owner sold it for an old guy who came in and asked for help. I contacted the guy I bought it from ( gun store ) and he didn't know what a vent hole liner was. May be an expensive lesson. Thanks for any help.
Any makers mark on the barrel?

I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky rifle and was doing a cleaning on it. The barrel is in perfect shape as far as the bore goes but I cannot remove the vent hole liner. Any tips on removing these? I had it soaking all night with WD-40 hoping that would loosen it but it didn't work. Also I had read that there was a best size for the hole diameter. Can anyone recommend what size is best?

I tried doing a search here but can't find the answers I was wanting. This is my first Flintlock so I am learning. I have been shooting BP for 30 years or so and thought I would give rock locks a try.

I measured the hole in the vent hole liner and it will admit a .076 drill but not a .078 drill bit

Why do you want to remove it?
A few OCD people think they need to remove the liner and clean it after every shooting session. That is a mistake.
Never remove a liner unless the vent hole is too large and needs replacement.

Leave the liner in place. No need to remove it unless it gets severely eroded. Most likely the bore will wear out before that liner does... and it is fairly likely that you will be pushing up daisies when this happens.

You will probably need a screw extractor to remove the touch hole liner. Using a screw extractor will destroy the touch hole liner. So, one should have a compelling reason to remove the touch hole liner and cleaning the bore is not that compelling reason.

Back