• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Venison Shank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
One of the things that those of us that hate to waste anything is what to do with a shank.
When in camp and I butcher down to quarters I like to drop the shanks in a pot with some beef broth and water and a large cut up onion. They need to boil for several hours until the connective tissue melts away and the meat is falling off the bone. Then add some other veggies, carrots, squash, green beans, whatever turns your appetite on, and enjoy. I serve with a whole shank on a plate with a side off veggies out of the pot. It is surprising how delicious those shanks are when they are cooked down like this. So don't wrestle them trying to get the meat off when butchering, save them whole and boil them. Fantastic for hunting camp lunches.
20190407_154148.jpg

Ok, so this won’t be the first time I look like an idiot, ner the last, but what’s a shank? Is it the neck? That’s the part I have the most heartache getting the meat.

The shank is the area of the leg below the knee. On a person it would be the thigh.

It is usually very tough because the muscles are constantly in use when the critter walks around so it takes some long, slow cooking.

Time and heat, and few good flavors added. Makes some very tasty eating.
A shank with some veggies stewed in the cooked out juices makes a one man meal fit for a king..
Around here, we don't waste anything red. There is a way to cook whatever it is, and make it GOOD!

The only problem i've run across was if you use a hatchet to break the leg bone and don't get all the shattered pieces out you end up with bone shards in your meal...i used a meat saw on the neck and got a million tiny fragments in my soup... the dog did enjoy it though.
Now I debone the neck best i can and feed my puppy the rest.

Back