• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Venetian cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking through some old photos from a trip to Greece and found a few photos of a really spectacular 17th century Venetian bronze cannon. For your enjoyment (click on the thumbnails)

Note the lion of St. Mark.
Greece 091016-30 059.jpg

" 1685 Marc Antonio & Nicolo DiConti Fonditori Publico D'Artigliarie"
Greece 091016-30 060.jpg

Greece 091016-30 063.jpg
GBAF most likely stands for "Giovanni Battista Alberghetto Fonditore" Two different foundries? A reused mold element?
Greece 091016-30 064.jpg

Greece 091016-30 065.jpg

Greece 091016-30 066.jpg :

Yes indeed! Lots of ancient fortifications. Although, in Greece everything is soooo ancient that something from 1685 is considered to be from the "Modern" period.

I recommend going to Greece in late September to mid October. 72F and sunny every day, and almost no other tourists.

By the way, this cannon was in Naufplio. The Venetians were just retaking Greece from the Ottomans right around the time this cannon was made.

Back