• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Velocity chart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lymans Black Powder Handbook has much of this information for the common calibers and barrel lengths. It is available from Midway for about $20 among other places

anyone know of a velocity chart for different charges? Much like a CF reloading manual would have?
Like Kansas Jake said, Lyman offers an excellent book for muzzleloaders called, "LYMAN BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" that lists hundreds of different loads for many different calibers shooting both patched roundballs and lead bullets.

Here are a few graphs I made from the data listed in my copy of the book.

45-VELOCITYS.jpg
36-VELOCITY.jpg
50-CAL-1-IN-48.jpg

54-VELOCITY.jpg

The .54 chart should say it is for a .535 diameter ball.

The powder loads for all but the .36 caliber chart are starting at the lower left at 40 grains. Each point to the right represents an increase of 10 grains of powder.

The .36 caliber chart starts at 30 grains and increases to 70 grains in 10 grain increments.

I think anyone wanting to understand what powder loads do should have a copy of this book. It has been in print for a long time and often the book can be found in a Used Book Store.

There are several available but none matches what my chronograph tells me.

I have had the same experience. A friend loaned me his copy of the Lyman book, which is an excellent book, and the velocities in the charts did not match my experience with my 3 muzzle loaders in .45 and .50 caliber.

I think anyone wanting to understand what powder loads do should have a copy of this book.
I agree. I have confidence in their data because every time I've used it in calculating a trajectory my results match their prediction very closely. For example, if I use their velocity, and the result says the ball will hit 4 inches low at 100 yards, it does, with high probability.

As I recall, every velocity given in the book is the average of 5 test shots, not just the measurement of one shot.

Spence

I have a well worn Lyman BP Handbook that I've had for years. If you've handloaded cartridge arms you and chrono'ed your loads you'll know the book is only gonna get close to your velocity. To many factors go into that.
But... like a smokeless manual, it gives you a starting and stopping place.
Btw, I've trusted the Lyman trajectories as well... they seem to be based on sound science, unlike the popular BP writer who said the Walker Colt had more velocity and ft. Lbs. than the 44 Rem mag .

Back