• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

vasoline VS naval jelly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the two? Ive read a couple posts about using naval jelly on barrels and locks. What does it do?

Also, i need to stain my stock and i was wondering if theres a good online store that has pictures of the color of the stain on wood?

Naval jelly is formulated for removing rust. It takes bluing and/or browning off if that's what you want to do. Vasoline is for...well, we know what Vasoline is for...

Vasoline as i found out today, when rubbed onto the barrel and then buffed with 0000 steel wool, leaves the barrel a grayish blue. I made a mistake and it actually ended up being a good one because i like the color it left on the barrel :haha:

And yes, vasoline is normally used for.... SNAP! Please drop your pants and bend over sir.

Or before you go to fill up your gas tank :rotf:

I was alway told that Vaseline was use for keeping kids out of the bedroom when you wanted privacy, you put it on the door knob.

Naval jelly can be found in about any Hardware store. It is a very good rust remover. But as mentioned in another post it will remove any of the guns finish.
It has a warning on the jar, do not use on chrome. That should tell you some thing. I know it will dull the finish on chrome bored M16 rifles and chambers. I would not use it in the bore of a better grade barrel such as Getz, Rice Etc. If you have an old rusty production rifle it may not matter. :confused:

At my suggestion, a friend of mine has vasolined his balcony railing in an attempt to prevent breakin number 3 by the local cat burglar... :thumbsup:

cliff,
What is funny about that?Better yet put vasoline
on the inside door knobs of the kids room and
the outside of mom/dad room.But by all means
place a fire alarm between the two rooms.
snake-eyes:thumbsup: :hatsoff::hmm:

Might work better to add a little electricity to that rail along with the Vaseline.
I use a motion censer hooked to an air horn in my shop. Now I'm told I need to put a warning on the door, don't want some thief dieing from a heart attack.

A motion sensor and a light , and maybe an outside alarm to alert neighbors, makes more sense. He can also improve the locks on the patio doors. or window to impede unwanted entry. Inside, a motion detector that activates a camera would be a great way to identify and catch this thief, if he does strike again. It sounds like he knows when you friend is away from home. Could he be living in sight of the friend's home?

I once bought a can of spray-clue which is a non-visible powder that will become visible when put under black light. My client put down newspapers under the window, and sprayed the stuff on fresh before she left. We were looking to get footprints, to tell us how many, and what sex, size, height, etc. the suspect was. The stuff also sticks to the soles of his shoes, so if you can track him, you can prove he was in your home. You can buy portable black lights. The material glows or " floresces " when exposed to black light. Even a small amount will glow in the dark when exposed to a black light.

Naval Jelly is basically phosphoric acid, and is a good rust remover without being overly corrosive.

From Wikipedia, "It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes.) After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, most durably by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats."

Naval Jelly is basically phosphoric acid...

Phosphoric acid appears to be one of the main ingredients of OxPho Blue, which can give you a nice grey look if brushed back with 0000 steel wool...
[url] http://www2.hazard.com/msds/f2/bch/bchvc.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of security... has everyone heard of a "bump key"? Google it. Movies, complete instructions all over the web... tumbler locks are now worth zip. Anybody can open any tumbler lock almost as fast as you can do it with the correct key. Worse, your insurance company can say you didn't lock your door, and there's no way you can prove you did.

Everybody (not just the bad guys) should know about this, if only to defend themselves against insurance companies. Just because your door was unlocked doesn't mean you forgot to lock it.

Redwing - I am going to reply to you on the Naval Gelly item but I guess I have a question for everyone who advised that Naval Jelly is a rust remover. Frankly guys,I have been using naval Jelly as a rust inhibitor and have never fround it to remove rust. I have had real good success with the stuff stopping rust - but never removing it. Am I missing something or is there another step I should be doing after simple application? :confused:

I have been using naval Jelly as a rust inhibitor and have never fround it to remove rust.
Deaconjo, to be clear-- we are talking about actual Naval Jelly brand goop, right? Slimy, pinkish colored if i remember right. I've used it many times over the years to remove serious rust fom old tools, a metal lathe, etc. You soak the part in it or paint it on, leave it for a number of hours, and wash it off. The stuff I've used you would not at all want to leave on as a long term rust-preventative coating. Dave T.

I think the Naval Jelly we are talkina about is made by DURO. It has a pink lable that says "NAVAL JELLY Rust Remover."
There is nothing on the bottle that indicates it will protect metal from rust although I suppose rust wouldn't form on a surface if a rust remover was there first.
On the other hand, I think the acid in this product might do more harm to a steel surface than the rust would if it were left on the part for any long period of time.

zonie :)

Latest posts

Back