• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Value on Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf75

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have several muzzle loader rifles and shotguns that I will be selling and need to get values on. I was told this would be a good place to get some opinions. I inherited these so I don't know a whole lot about them. I'm familiar with muzzle loaders from hunting with them as a kid, but I don't have allot of in-depth knowledge on them.

Here's the first item. I'd like to figure out how much this one is worth.

I'm not sure how to add images into the post so here's a link to the images.

The condition is a little rough. Visible rust on the outside is a value killer. How bad are the bores? if it has bad bores you're looking at $200 more or less. If it has good bores it would bring maybe $400 in that condition.
It's a recently made Italian reproduction. You need to cut all of that leather manure off the buttstock to evaluate the condition of the wood.

Here's a few more images of the bores and the stock. Someone suggested putting an aa battery in the bore and taking a photo. I did that here. What exactly does that do?
Also, there are no other marking on the barrels except the ones shown in the original post. What looks like a serial number and the decorative markings.

Also, I'm sure I could easily remove the surface rust as well as the rust in the bores.

Last edited:
It's always at least worth scrubbing the rust put. Do you know the bore size? The battery trick allows reflection of light off the bore walls to better see the condition.

There also should be a makers name and whatnot on the barrels if it's a relatively contemporary Italian make.

Also, is that a Dusenberg i spy in the background?

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the effort to clean it up then. As there will always be micro-pitting in the bores?
I won't go that far. I've heard of folks having guns with some pitting in the barrels but they still have safe weapons with good accuracy. The amount, location, and certainly depth of pitting is the deciding factor.
Barrels can also be relined if a weapon is of particular value to you.

It's always at least worth scrubbing the rust put. Do you know the bore size? The battery trick allows reflection of light off the bore walls to better see the condition.

There also should be a makers name and whatnot on the barrels if it's a relatively contemporary Italian make.

Also, is that a Dusenberg i spy in the background?
There's no markings that I can find that would identify the maker. It could be a kit, or an amalgamation of other various guns and parts.

The battery trick did infact light up the bore. Interesting trick.

And yes, that's a Starplayer TV outlaw.

I won't go that far. I've heard of folks having guns with some pitting in the barrels but they still have safe weapons with good accuracy. The amount, location, and certainly depth of pitting is the deciding factor.
Barrels can also be relined if a weapon is of particular value to you.
So the pitting affect the safety of the gun? Also, it's a 12 gauge shotgun. I don't understand how surface rust can affect the accuracy of a shotgun.

Pull out the ramrod, push out the wedge, half cock both hammers and lift the barrel out of the stock. Markings will be in the underside of the barrel. Get very detailed pics of them. Always and I mean always take some very fine steel wool or even a rag, put some WD 40 on it and scrub the hades out of any surface rust until it’s gone. Do the same with the bore. Repost pics after to do that and get pics of the markings under the barrel. I just can’t understand why someone will ask the value of a gun and not clean it up first. It’s like trying to sell a car covered in mud.

Back