• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

value dixie gun works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A gentlemen says he has a 12ga double shotgun with pedersoli on barrel made in 1984. Would like me to look at it , he say it has been taken care of and looks great. could you give me an idea what this might be worth. its says dixie gun works on barrel also he would like to sell it .I know there are a lot of things to look at just general idea a starting point Thanks.

A great price to buy it would be $300 -- not so good price $800 -- it all depends on condition and how much he is willing to sell it for ;) :thumb::ThankYou: I've purchased similar "as new" for no more than $500.

A gentlemen says he has a 12ga double shotgun with pedersoli on barrel made in 1984. Would like me to look at it , he say it has been taken care of and looks great. could you give me an idea what this might be worth. its says dixie gun works on barrel also he would like to sell it .I know there are a lot of things to look at just general idea a starting point Thanks.
Take a look at it and take pictures of everything especially any makings. I don't know how many models they produced back then but today their different models run from $1200 to $1900.

The date the gun was proofed can be confirmed by the proof mark on the bottom of the barrels. I have an earlier Pedersoli (1978) and it handles very well weighing in at 5.8 lbs, much lighter than current production. Don’t know what weight they were in 1984.
In today’s crazy gun market not sure on what a good price would be. Condition will play a big part, but have to think if in fair condition, it will be north of $500, just don’t know how far north.

A great price to buy it would be $300 -- not so good price $800 -- it all depends on condition and how much he is willing to sell it for ;) :thumb::ThankYou: I've purchased similar "as new" for no more than $500.
Good luck getting one for under $500,especially in todays gun market.If it is in great condition $500 would be a very good bargain.

How can you tell what the chokes are, what marks to look for
I have no idea what the chokes are if the shotgun even has any installed. As for markings, any stamps on the barrel or other metal parts are where they are located. You want to confirm not only the date of manufacture but also make sure it's a Pendersoli. Post the pictures here and we can confirm or not the date and manufacturer. If it's a 1984 make it will have AM stamped on it somewhere (in a square box), if it's a Pendersoli it will have dp inside an oval with either DAVID PENDERSOLI or PENDERSOLI stamped after it or an anvil with DAP stamped inside the anvil.

I have a Cabelas version of the same shotgun made by Pedersoli Not sure I think I bought it in the late 80s are early 90s. Mine has screw-in chokes not sure about the Dixie one. I don't think I'd sell mine for under 500 if I were interested in doing so.

How can you tell what the chokes are, what marks to look for
At the muzzle the bores on mine measure .710”/.692”. Pedersoli’s current spec says cylinder/modified, so mine may be a bit tighter, but I do not know the actual bore diameter behind the choke.

Below is a photograph of the markings on the bottom of the Pedersoli double I own. 18.3 is the nominal bore diameter, 12gauge or .720”. AD is the proof year (1978). The PN (polere nera) indicates it is a blackpowder gun.
1616698486388.png

Last edited:
Yeah but how long ago?
Last one was a Pedersoli 12 gauge made in 87 and I paid $450 a year and a half ago. There are people that have them that they purchased as a "whim" and have been taking up room in their safe and now just want to purge old unused stuff. You have to look and be ready with the money - they are out there :thumb:

Well the deal is done . there barrels look real good been cleaning on them don't have pictures but if you scroll back to SDSmif post this is what on the barrels. right barrel k g 2.030 182 am in box 1984 pn blackpowder. left barrel pedersoli anvil with DAV 89 grains of black powder only 1/14 oz shot made in italy on top of barrels dixie gun works my chart says impmod left and mod right. would like your comments whats the difference between the 182 9n mind and the 183 on SDSmif's thanks for all the in put now to find a load for turkeys.

Last one was a Pedersoli 12 gauge made in 87 and I paid $450 a year and a half ago. There are people that have them that they purchased as a "whim" and have been taking up room in their safe and now just want to purge old unused stuff. You have to look and be ready with the money - they are out there :thumb:
I had a Pedersoli new-in-box I bought at auction; never used it, sold later for $500., to a guy who actually wanted it to shoot. (I was never crazy about MLshotguns). Made couple hundred bucks on it, so it was a good 'investment'.

Get on the Net and research muzzle loading Pedersoli shotguns. I saw one on GB that was 600 and was in pretty good shape. You will also find that there aren't a whole bunch of used Pedersoli shotguns up for sale. Worry more about caps to fire it.
ps. Buffalo Arms does well with shotgun accessories.

Latest posts

Back