• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

vacu-sealing BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of the flat anti freeze jugs. They do pack easier and got a wide mouth and a good handle. For smaller loads the jars that salad dressing comes in are handy too. They pack easy and seal pretty well as well,but sorry no handle. These containers don't take up too much space.

I do vacum seal my percusion caps that I but in large quanities to ensure they stay dry. I seal them in packs of three. The older metal tins I Just put electrical tape around the seam to ensure dryness. But many of the newer plastic "tins" actually have a hole in the bottom so I vacum pack them.

so in a semi-humid basement.........im safe?

relatively speaking of course discounting any unnatural acts of God?

camo
No you will be growing mold that will harm you more than the powder will. Get a dehumidifier or fix the leaks in your foundation that is allowing the water or moister in.

As for the powder yes, you are being anal and over thinking it..

You just have to make sure you don't have laws , local or national , which state you must store and carry powder in its origional container , with all the warnings intact . Some countries ( and insurance companies ) do .

Do not store BP in a military steel ammo cans with the lid buckled down tight like so many do.
If the place you have ammo can catches on fire and the can gets really hot, you will have a massive explosion.
Those ammo cans are so heavily built they will let the pressure spike much higher before they let go whereas a flimsier container will blow sooner with less pressure buildup.
That is complete and absolute myth and falsie.
Didn't we do this same thing in another thread? After all this time,, and you still don't get it?
How does any of that apply to vaccum sealing?

That is complete and absolute myth and falsie.
Didn't we do this same thing in another thread? After all this time,, and you still don't get it?
How does any of that apply to vaccum sealing?
Not a myth. Individual rounds simply cook off, but bulk black powder will indeed turn it into a bomb. Wood kegs, cannon balls, and even fireworks shells demonstrate the hazards of powder in sealed containers.

had to buy around 5 lbs of 2F.

decided it might be good to use my food sealer to vacu-seal the remaining 4 lbs to keep it safe from moisture.
Maybe I missed it somewhere, are you talking about a single 5 pound keg, or five 1 pound bottles?

If one 5 pound keg that you opened and poured out a pound into something else, then it might be overkill,,, but also might not. If you now have 4 unopened 1 pound bottles, it is overkill,,, but,,, also no harm done. I keep my 1 pound bottles in the ammo cans for the .50 BMG. They are water/airtight and built such that of there were a fire in my home they can easily be tossed through a glass window, lol.

Vac-u-seal applies heat, I hear thats bad for BP.

I have 20 odd cans in a wooden box, in the cache. Been there for 2 decades.
Every year I pull a can out, and it goes boom.
I have a vac u seal but only use it for food. The only place it applies heat is where it seals the bag. Think I'd leave some air space there if I was doing powder.
This place was built in the very early 50's and came with a fallout shelter five steps below basement level and out under the lawn. It can be humid. Keep my powder there in the original plastic bottles and it has been fine.

as a practical matter, i don't think you would gain very much by sealing your powder this way, but i don't see the harm. I leave mine in the cans in the basement and it still works fine.

I would worry that vacuum sealing might trigger static electricity and detonate it! I would prefer to use ant-static bubble wrap and duck tape (duck tape fixes everything) then seat it with bees wax and store it buried under a tree at least one quarter mile from my property or any neighbor's buildings....

I think I have been reading too many of these threads and over thinking them....going back to counting out pre-measured charges with tweezers now....

*1 grain..2 grain..3 grain..4*

had to buy around 5 lbs of 2F.

decided it might be good to use my food sealer to vacu-seal the remaining 4 lbs to keep it safe from moisture.
If you went through the effort of vacuum sealing, what did your moisture analysis of the powder show before sealing? What is your target moisture content before sealing? Would hate to seal up excess moisture with the powder. What is your plan for periodically checking the condition of your sealed powder?

I would worry that vacuum sealing might trigger static electricity and detonate it!
Are you serious?! 🙄
I mean really?
What is it going to take to put this static detonation of black powder bu__ s__t 💩 to rest and stop passing on this nonsense to generation after generation of new b.p. shooters?

It has been shown, and the tests linked to on this forum many times, that static electricity does not generate enough heat nor for a long enough duration to ignite black powder.

Are you serious?! 🙄
I mean really?
What is it going to take to put this static detonation of black powder bu__ s__t 💩 to rest and stop passing on this nonsense to generation after generation of new b.p. shooters?

It has been shown, and the tests linked to on this forum many times, that static electricity does not generate enough heat nor for a long enough duration to ignite black powder.
But the duck tape is part is good, right? I hear duck tape and auto grease can even get a stck ball out...

Duct tape, zip-ties, grease, super glue, bailing or mechanics wire, and if course,,,,, para-cord,,,,, if you can't do it with any if those, or a combination of those,,,,,, you can't do it.... 😉

Latest posts

Back