V Target Question

Discussion in 'General Muzzleloading' started by Enfield58, Dec 29, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 29, 2019 #1

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

I'm really curious about the target depicted below. I've seen pictures of it a long time ago in some muzzle loading articles but don't know the history behind it and why this target was chosen to use for competition. I cannot find anything on the glorious thing we call the internet.

I was thinking about using it for sighting in a flintlock rifle I have with a brass front sight. I'm having problems with the sight on my rifle blending in with the white paper and getting it centered under the black bull.

I was thinking about printing some of these to use for sighting the rifle in by placing the front sight underneath the white "V" so that the black contrasts with the brass blade.

I decided to buy some 1/4 silhouette targets instead, with a bright orange stick-on spot in the middle so the brass blade is visible against the black.

Nevertheless, can anyone provide any history behind this type of target?
    MuzzleLoading Target V.jpg

Here's a video of Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen from the Disney "Davey Crockett" television series.

2. Dec 29, 2019 #2

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

50 Cal.

Not sure! Worth a try, though.

3. Dec 30, 2019 #3

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

I was Fess Parker's stunt double for that scene. :D

4. Dec 30, 2019 #4

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

50 Cal.

Lol! No, you weren’t.

5. Dec 30, 2019 #5

russellshaffer

russellshaffer

russellshaffer

36 Cal.

I wasn't there, either, but I do remember watching that episode. In black and white.

Artie Peltier likes this.
  6. Dec 30, 2019 #6

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

That’s all you could watch in the mid 19th century:)

7. Jan 2, 2020 #7

ohio ramrod

ohio ramrod

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.

Yea it was cool that Fess Parker played both Davey Crocket and later Daniel Boone. Those were the good old days for muzzle loader movies as well as Jerimiah Jonson. What we need now is for hollywood to make a movie where the mountain man shoots his ramrod to kill the vampire, and uses his powder horn as a bomb to blow up the zombies. Then we can get the youth of today to start shooting black powder and going the rendezvous

8. Jan 2, 2020 #8

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I know the guy who wrote several of the Sharknado movies. I’ll pass the idea along.

9. Jan 2, 2020 #9

ppg1949

ppg1949

ppg1949

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Many decades ago, there was a mini series called Centenial. It was about a western city, probably in one of the northern Rocky Mountain states, and how it progressed from wilderness and trappers to a modern city. It had a couple episodes on the trappers and mountain men. I think that Hollywood really tried to replicate how these men really lived. In one episode it portrayed a rendezvous that appeared very HC.

Artie Peltier and Maven like this.
  10. Jan 2, 2020 #10

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

Great idea but what we really need is to take young people out to shoot real guns. Make it a family event. Reactive targets and friendly competition make it more enjoyable.

11. Jan 2, 2020 #11

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

Having a few moments of spare time and enjoying my morning coffee, I decided to play with some different color schemes of the V target. Attached is a PDF file with the following targets. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve this target (other than making it round) please feel free to help me out.

MuzzleLoading Target V Black.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V White.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Green.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Green Inverse.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Red.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Red Inverse.jpg

Attached Files:

Maven likes this.
  12. Jan 2, 2020 #12

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
    Well, I too am sipping on my morning coffee trying to get my vision to focus?

The reds, greens, and black samples configured every which way is making me think I’m having a bad trip on LSD or at the DMV taking one of those eye tests?

To much bling! LOL.

Respectfully, Cowboy

hawkeye2 and smo like this.
  13. Jan 2, 2020 #13

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I hit have seen a similar Vee target with the white triangle marked with scoring levels. The challenge was to place the ball as deep in the vee as possible without having any part of the hit in the black. A hit that crossed into the black was zero. Terry (@Adui) are you listening?

Gun Tramp likes this.
  14. Jan 2, 2020 #14

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

Now that you gave me an idea, I've produced a set of targets for the more experimentally minded. I had to stop when I started hearing zithers playing in the background.

MuzzleLoading Target V Psych 1.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych 2.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych 3.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych 4.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych Inverse 1.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych Inverse 2.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych Inverse 3.jpg MuzzleLoading Target V Psych Inverse 4.jpg

Attached Files:

SamTex1949, Cowboy and Kansas Jake like this.
  15. Jan 2, 2020 #15

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

I'm trying to use my high school geometry to figure this question out. What would be better to use; a large or small caliber ball? Would you measure it from the edge or the center of the bullet hole?

If you measured from the center of the hole, then wouldn't it be easier for the shooter with the smaller caliber ball to win the competition?

If you measured it from the edge of the hole, then wouldn't it be easier for the shooter with the larger caliber ball to win?

16. Jan 2, 2020 #16

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

Theory would tell you that the smaller diameter ball would be less likely to cut into the black. In practice, it doesn't seem to matter, especially when shooting offhand.

17. Jan 2, 2020 #17

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 cal - b

Let's say two people were shooting two different rifles. One is a .36 caliber rifle and the other is a .54 caliber variety. That means there is a difference of .18 inches in ball diameter.

The .36 caliber shooter lands their ball right in the bottom of the "v" without touching it. When measured from the center of the hole the distance is .19 inches.

If the .54 caliber shooter was to land their ball at exactly the same distance of the smaller bore rifle then the bullet hole would cut into the "v." The radius of the larger ball is .265" as opposed to .175 inches. So if the center of the larger ball was .19 inches from the "v" then there would be about .075 inches cutting into the line of the "V."

Using a rule of measuring from the edge of the hole, let's say both balls land at .3 inches (center of hole) from the "V." That would mean that the larger ball wins because, even though the center of the holes was the same distance, the edge of the larger bullet is closer to the line of the "V."

Maybe this is the reason, we don't see much of this target anymore.

18. Jan 3, 2020 #18

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
    Enfield58 likes this.
  19. Jan 3, 2020 #19

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

o_O:confused:
    You don't by chance live in a '63 VW camper with peace signs, Grateful Dead stickers and a mandala hanging from the rear view mirror do you? :D

SamTex1949, Enfield58 and Cowboy like this.
  20. Jan 3, 2020 #20

Adui

Adui

Adui

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've run a version of this exact target, except the V was inverted in mine ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted