• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

usps shipping blackpowder handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Will the USPS (United States Postal Service) handle black powder guns? Is there a better way? Thanks.

As long as the gun meets the ATFE's guidelines for it being an antique and it is unloaded, the post office will ship it.

The ATFE basically says any firearm made before 1898 that is muzzleloading or shoots a cartridge that is no longer available qualifies it as an antique.
They also include modern reproductions of these guns as qualifying as antiques.

That being said, although the Post Office will deliver the gun, if a State has laws about firearm sales and what a person has to do to receive a gun, those laws need to be met. If they are not met, the person receiving the gun can be in big trouble with the State officials.

3 out of the last 4 Cap and Ball revolvers I have ordered lately came by U.S. Mail. The one that didn't was sent FedEx, signature required and cost me over $20 in shipping, within the same state. Shipping was less than ten bucks on any of the others, that came from much further away.

Last edited:
I’ve received several black powder guns shipped by USPS. Absolutely no problems. A year or two ago, I purchased a stainless 1860 Colt 2nd Generation. It was sent through the mail. The mailman handed me the package. I thanked him and told him I had been expecting it. He asked what it was. I told him, but he had no idea what the 1860 Colt was. We sat on my porch while I opened the package to show him. I let him handle it and explained some things about the revolver. He thanked me for the history lesson. A few weeks later he delivered another package. That was a Uberti Paterson. I showed that to him and he was confused about “no trigger”. I like my mailman. We visit almost every day.

USPS could break an anvil. I would not trust them.
Have used the USPS to ship and receive muzzloading rifles, pistols and cap and ball revolvers without issue or complaint. Have never shipped or received an anvil using the USPS, so I can not comment on your misfortune.

UPS hauls the packages between POs. USPS handles the deliveries. However, I have never had any damage shipping Priority. I wonder if UPS is more careful with the USPS packages.

As long as the gun meets the ATFE's guidelines for it being an antique and it is unloaded, the post office will ship it.

The ATFE basically says any firearm made before 1898 that is muzzleloading or shoots a cartridge that is no longer available qualifies it as an antique.
They also include modern reproductions of these guns as qualifying as antiques.

That being said, although the Post Office will deliver the gun, if a State has laws about firearm sales and what a person has to do to receive a gun, those laws need to be met. If they are not met, the person receiving the gun can be in big trouble with the State officials.
Phil Murhy...period full....Stop

USPS is definitely the preferred way. For pistols, you can't beat the price for Priority Flat Rate. With tracking, signature requirement and insurance, it's way cheaper than UPS or FedEx, and much faster, too. Plus, I appreciate the fact that many of the letter carriers are retired or ex-military, whereas the guys with FedEx are usually a bunch of clowns who drive WAY too fast through my neighborhood, despite the signs that tell them to slow down because our kids are at play.

Hi,

Also, I've never had USPS give me a hassle on insurance claims. UPS has elevated denying responsibility (even when you bought extra insurance) to an art-form.

It's all in how the shipper packs it. There's a reason some use custom wood crates.
True, unless the shipper builds a crappy wooden box, which has happened to me once. However, it still protected my rifle well enough to arrive undamaged but it wasn't worth the extra $100 I was charged. The only problem I have encountered happened at the local UPS store when the owner refused to ship a muzzle loading rifle I wanted to send. It was already boxed up with nothing written on it identifying it as a gun or firearm. The owner asked me what was inside, to which I replied that it was a muzzleloader. She practically screamed at me that shipping firearms is illegal! When I calmly explained that the federal government/ATF did not consider it a "firearm", that it wasn't loaded, contained no gun powder and did not/ could not fire loaded ammunition she then said she was the owner and could refuse to accept anything she didn't like. Unfortunately she was correct, she did in fact have that option. The local post office had no such policy after answering all their questions concerning hazardous or prohibited materials happily accepted the package. Most recently I purchased a flintlock trade gun which FedEx tried to de-construct from the outside in. Since it required my signature I made sure to take pictures of the damaged box as well as check the contents before signing in front of the driver. Fortunately the trade gun was not damaged but the box and foam cushioning was clearly at it's limit. One end had already been nearly ripped open in fact, see the attached photo.
I live in Texas so there's no additional state laws to be concerned about as far as shipping a muzzleloader. If it were me, I would ship in a good wooden box, of which I have several leftover, a sturdy cardboard box with enough dense foam surrounding the item completely with no room to slide inside the package itself. Crumpled up newspapers are great for this. I would also choose the USPS first but not divulge the contents. Answer all questions truthfully of course, but if asked what is inside, I simple say "parts", wooden and metal, to be assembled by the receiver. It would be a toss up between UPS and FedEx for the second choice but there is a UPS distribution center in the area so I'd probably go there if I couldn't get to the post office.
20200514_130446.jpg

Attachments

• 20200514_130504.jpg
    20200514_130504.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 134
I just had two happy experiences shipping USPS and one happy experience shipping FedEx. Personally, I prefer USPS because the people there are great. Whether it's shipping rifles and shotguns or ducks, geese, and bees, they always knock themselves out to do their best. Couldn't ask for more.

I had to use FedEx to send some modern pistols recently and that was just as fine as could be also. I agree that how things are packed is critical. The character of your local people and how you treat them, is also just as important.

Back