• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

usps shipping blackpowder handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping and receiving is kind of like Ford VS. Chevy.

My experiences with USPS and UPS gives the nod to USPS.

UIPS destroyed a rifle and it took me 9 months to get my
insurance money back.

Got UPS package with two muzzles protruding from end of box. Left on front porch easily seen from street. No real damage but not much respect for 140 year old Remington rolling blocks.

I build a 1x4" frame to the dimensions of the gun, plywood on top and bottom, and use the blue 1" foam insulation sheets (4'x8') from Lowes and make a cutout for the rifle. I write "FRAGILE: GLASS TUBING" and always ship USPS. I've heard stories but the worst I got was a puncture through the plywood that looked like it was done with a battle axe, but no damage. Don't cut corners with the insurance and take pics or video of you packing it. Just in case. BP pistols can go UPS but be sure to disassemble so it can go air, and you have to disclose it as "BP gun parts" and you have to ship it from a Hub. No probs with UPS either.....

some body at our Fed ex has thing against firearms. Amazing, how they have tire tracks across them, get bent, etc. Then they fight tooth and nail over claims. Never had a problem with USPS. UPS is another story. I always had such packages delivered to my office so I need not worry about the Mrs. getting too nosey. Darn UPS driver started bringing them to the house to avoid driving out of the way to the office. GRRR.

True, unless the shipper builds a crappy wooden box, which has happened to me once. However, it still protected my rifle well enough to arrive undamaged but it wasn't worth the extra $100 I was charged. The only problem I have encountered happened at the local UPS store when the owner refused to ship a muzzle loading rifle I wanted to send. It was already boxed up with nothing written on it identifying it as a gun or firearm. The owner asked me what was inside, to which I replied that it was a muzzleloader. She practically screamed at me that shipping firearms is illegal! When I calmly explained that the federal government/ATF did not consider it a "firearm", that it wasn't loaded, contained no gun powder and did not/ could not fire loaded ammunition she then said she was the owner and could refuse to accept anything she didn't like. Unfortunately she was correct, she did in fact have that option. The local post office had no such policy after answering all their questions concerning hazardous or prohibited materials happily accepted the package. Most recently I purchased a flintlock trade gun which FedEx tried to de-construct from the outside in. Since it required my signature I made sure to take pictures of the damaged box as well as check the contents before signing in front of the driver. Fortunately the trade gun was not damaged but the box and foam cushioning was clearly at it's limit. One end had already been nearly ripped open in fact, see the attached photo.
I live in Texas so there's no additional state laws to be concerned about as far as shipping a muzzleloader. If it were me, I would ship in a good wooden box, of which I have several leftover, a sturdy cardboard box with enough dense foam surrounding the item completely with no room to slide inside the package itself. Crumpled up newspapers are great for this. I would also choose the USPS first but not divulge the contents. Answer all questions truthfully of course, but if asked what is inside, I simple say "parts", wooden and metal, to be assembled by the receiver. It would be a toss up between UPS and FedEx for the second choice but there is a UPS distribution center in the area so I'd probably go there if I couldn't get to the post office.
View attachment 33222
Does the store owner have a right to refuse a shipnent? She's an agent for a common carrier, and if it's legal to ship, it's legal.

Also, it is NOT illegal to ship firearms (even unmentionable BATFE ones.) One just has to meet certain legal requirements.(I have a Curio & Relic FFL)

Yes they can and will refuse the shipment. They are independent of UPS and can refuse if they know what is in the package. If you are shipping a cartridge arm back to the manufacturer for repair via UPS (completely legal to do) the manufacturer will tell you to take it to the UPS center and not one of the UPS "stores" as they will not accept it. That from my personal experience.

I have found the independent UPS stores to not exactly offer the best deal. Have a UPS account through work that gives significant discounts at the distribution center, but not at the independent stores. Was traveling a few years ago and paid hundreds of dollars more to ship a package to Europe through a store than I would have paid at a distribution center. They didn’t care about my account, just wanted a credit card. Had a plane to catch and was forced to pay. Have avoided UPS since if practical.

The UPS store adds a mark-up to the UPS fee and it can double the shipping cost. That's how they make their money and all they offer is convenience. I have bought my UPS shipping label online and just dropped it off at the store.

I have only had 1 refusal on shipping a black powder longarm both within the USA & back home to Australia. That was only because the post office manager was anti firearm. I took it to another USPS, no problem. I have found the only restrictions can be a " volume" issue ( volume of the package ie L x w x d. USPS are great. UPS is a different kettle of fish & I have had parcels go missing within the USA.

Never had a problem with USPS. They never ask any questions beyond the normal flammable/hazardous question. USPS also has the advantage that their over the road trucks move seven days a week, including holidays. But they do have a length limitation. The guns with the really long barrels may have to go UPS. The longer the length, the better the chances of the box being damaged. Especially using single-wall fiber box, which is usually the only thing available locally. Reinforced single wall or double-wall is much better if you can find it. But it does add weight.

Of course the USPS will ship them. First, no real need to tell them whats in the box. Second, the Feds do not consider muzzle loading side mounted lock guns to be firearms.

Along with the normal insurance and tracking number, I always request when receiving guns to have them shipped "Adult Signature Required". This way they cannot just leave it on the door step.

Back