• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using your thumb as a rear site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a while back when I started shooting a BP gun without a rear site I talked to this old timer about how to get more consistent with shooting my smooth bore he told me to put my thumb on the top of my barrel with my left hand (I’m a right handed shooter) and this will help with my elevation once I know about what the gap is. I did this to shoot my first deer and it definitely worked even though I didn’t hit were I was aiming hahaha but a clean kill all the same! Anyone else do this with much success??

So a while back when I started shooting a BP gun without a rear site I talked to this old timer about how to get more consistent with shooting my smooth bore he told me to put my thumb on the top of my barrel with my left hand (I’m a right handed shooter) and this will help with my elevation once I know about what the gap is. I did this to shoot my first deer and it definitely worked even though I didn’t hit were I was aiming hahaha but a clean kill all the same! Anyone else do this with much success??
Not sure I can fully picture were your putting your thumb, but if it works, that's great!

Not sure I can fully picture were your putting your thumb, but if it works, that's great!
Well I can see how this might be a little confusing hahah I’m basically putting the top of my thumb on the top of the barrel and using it as a reference point kinda like you do when you shoot a bow it’s just another anchor. It helps with elevation especially since my gun shoots low if I try to just line up with the top of my tang

If it works for you then it works. I just had the builder install a rear sight on my gun when he built it. That works even better and allowed me to take a nice shot on a running deer.

Your entire breech is your rear sight. You just need to shoot enough to build the memory of your sight picture.
That was his point, I was having a hard time being consistent with my site picture so he told me to use my thumb as a starting point to get me close. It worked well, and the more I shot the less I had to do it, but getting out of shooting for a while I was rusty and the thumb trick has helped get me more consistent again. It was actually the owners dad of Dixon muzzleloader shop here in Pa. before he passed he helped me a lot on learning how to shoot. From what I gathered he still has a couple records for shooting so I wasn’t going to question him to much weather he was joking or not it works.

For French army early percussion rifles for the common infantry there was no rear sight for extended ranges unlike those for marksmen. The instructions for longer ranges were for the thumb to be placed over the barrel with the dip at the base of thumb for intermediate ranges and the joint placed in the middle for longer ones. So the thumb as a rear sight has actual history. I doubt if you could get away with it for no rear sights competition shooting though.

For French army early percussion rifles for the common infantry there was no rear sight for extended ranges unlike those for marksmen. The instructions for longer ranges were for the thumb to be placed over the barrel with the dip at the base of thumb for intermediate ranges and the joint placed in the middle for longer ones. So the thumb as a rear sight has actual history. I doubt if you could get away with it for no rear sights competition shooting though.
Thank you for sharing! I knew he wasn’t BSing me bc it worked so well I do appreciate you posting this

I kind of equate using your thumb, the same as having a loose rear sight. It’s NEVER going to be in the same place twice.
Use the breech of the barrel, it’s always the same.

Back