• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using Sizer/Lubricater For Cast Projectiles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't even know if parts are available, but looking at my vintage Lyman sizer/lubricater this afternoon, thought it might be possible. Heck, might even be a commonly used practice to run cast projectiles through it for my M/L's? Will it work?

Don't even know if parts are available, but looking at my vintage Lyman sizer/lubricater this afternoon, thought it might be possible. Heck, might even be a commonly used practice to run cast projectiles through it for my M/L's? Will it work?
Works for me I run 2 Lyman 450 s one for center fire (not used much)and the other used every day .Could not get thru the day without it/Ed

Thanks for the fast replies. Just like old guns, I enjoy "vintage" tools & reloading stuff. Some's been unused for many years, but they're as good as they ever were - sometimes better than newer ones. Should perhaps get better "coverage" with the lubricater than glopping by hand, I assume?

Do you mean for minie bullets? I Have a pair of Lyman 45s, one full of beeswax/lard, and one with smokeless lube. S & S Firearms and/or Lodgewood sell sizing dies up to like .600 so you can use it for a civil war Springfield or whatever.

I've been using a Lyman Sizer/Luber for .58 minies for years now and just restored a vintage one for use with my Maynard, Sharps, .50-95 & .50-70 bullets. Dies are readily available as Sparkytfl posted and there are so many of them around I have never worried about parts but have never needed any either.

Have to get to digging to see exactly what I have. Lyman .58 minie, for sure. Experimented with .45 and 50 20 years ago and a couple of original Colt molds. Pretty well have always shot patched round balls, but it's winter and I'm bored. A fellow can accumulate a lot of stuff over 50 years.

I have an RCBS lube/sizing press with heater and I use the current made Lyman size dies. You can still buy them from Midway, Midsouth, and other sources and they will fit your press. I have a few conicals that I run through the sizer.

Do you mean for minie bullets? I Have a pair of Lyman 45s, one full of beeswax/lard, and one with smokeless lube. S & S Firearms and/or Lodgewood sell sizing dies up to like .600 so you can use it for a civil war Springfield or whatever.
Don't size minis /maxis or any hollow base bullet or the Lee R.E.A.L. as they are meant to be used with pure lead and engrave upon loading /bands vary, base narrow and increase towards the nose /Hollow base walls flair out to engage rifling. All those types get ruined by your attempts at sizing hollow based sized will weaken /thin walls and they then fail to engage great for shooting a line of attackers (someone )will be unlucky but accuracy was never the intent ,just rate of fire/Ed

Last edited:
Almost everyone in the N-SSA sizes their minies. Sizing them is the key to accuracy. They must be able to be loaded quickly and yet be close enough to the bore size to engage the rifling when fired. Too small and they won't do that and too large and they need to be pounded down the barrel. I have some molds that cast a thin skirt (Rapine) and some that have a new base plug to produce a thin skirt. None of these give any problems.

Latest posts

Back