• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using Rem Power pistons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

40 Cal
Reaction score
Should I cut the bottom cushion off the piston and use a 1/2 inch cusion lubed or just use the power piston as is with a hard card, 1/8 lubed wad and power piston?

I use Remington wads and one third of a nitro card with no lube of any type. I vary the powder and shot to suit the use. Been easy to load and clean for over 40 years. Good for trap and hunting in all weather. HC or PC no but it's hard to argue with success.

What do you suggest for situations where you have to use steel shot?
I only experimented with it in case I ever go waterfowling.... but I’ve never have. I loaded it in in paper tubes. In a .62 it was on an half inch dowel made out of shopping bag paper about four wraps till it’s just shy of 5/8 thick. A crumpled paper wad below and above.

I have used TC's plastic wad column intended for their New Englander 12, and some Winchester WAA12R larger volume plastic wads when waterfowling, with steel shot, bismuth (my preference for BP guns) Heavy Shot and other tungsten composite in my CVA double. I usually put an over powder card, then a commercial felt wad )for cups with no piston) before adding the cup, shot and overpowder card. With the TC cups, which I prefer because of their larger volume, I just load them directly over the powder with a card wad on top as they were intended.

I used to worry about lube, but for hunting I found there was not much difference and have dropped that added hassle, beyond the factory lube that may be on the felt wads, for waterfowl hunting.

The plastic wads protect the barrels, but I have also found that they will tighten the patterns to some extent as well, good for the larger birds and longer ranges encountered hunting waterfowl, like the Canada Geese so prevalent around here..

I don't mess with the plastic wads for upland hunting or target shooting though, and have used everything from hornets nest to felt wads to crumpled paper.

As far as cutting the piston off, I am with Griz44Mag. Try it both ways and see what patterns best for your needs. A little experimentation will help find what works.

I am all for sticking with traditional ways, but when it comes to protecting gun barrels and finding the most effective humane harvesting load for big tough birds, I bow to the plastic.

Last edited:
Ballistic Products in MN has lots of options on wads of all types. I use one of their 10 ga steel compatible wads, 11/2 oz #1 steel, sitting on a nitro card over 100gr of. RS, capped with an over shot wad. Good goose load, use #3 steel for ducks.

Ballistic Products in MN has lots of options on wads of all types. I use one of their 10 ga steel compatible wads, 11/2 oz #1 steel, sitting on a nitro card over 100gr of. RS, capped with an over shot wad. Good goose load, use #3 steel for ducks.

Going to look in to that.

Latest posts

Back