• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using one powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHensley

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've used XX powder for many years In my 54's and XXX in the 45. At present I'm trying to eliminate and just use one of these. Would it be better to use the XX and adjust the load or the XXX and by how much. The advantage to the 3X I could use it also as a priming powder with little difference in ignition where the 2X might be a little slower. Has anyone any information on this. Thanks.

I've used XX powder for many years In my 54's and XXX in the 45. At present I'm trying to eliminate and just use one of these. Would it be better to use the XX and adjust the load or the XXX and by how much. The advantage to the 3X I could use it also as a priming powder with little difference in ignition where the 2X might be a little slower. Has anyone any information on this. Thanks.
The information I've seen suggests reducing your load by 10-15% if going from FFg to FFFg. That said, it would be best to work up a load with FFFg if you are switching (I shoot 75-80gr FFFg in my 54). I prefer FFFg because it seems to burn faster.

Thanks for the information. As soon as Weather breaks I'll start shooting again .

I use 3Fg for my .54 and smaller, prime and main charge. 2Fg for 20 gauge and larger smoothies, both prime and main charge. I'm going to try 1Fg in my .75 musket for both to see if I observe any difference with it and the 2Fg.

LD

Dave,

In a musket with that big old lock and lots of stored energy, I think you will find 1F works just fine.
I would agree, although I use ffg in some guns, and fffg in others, when it comes to my Bessie she really seems to prefer fg. The charge I use in the Bess is also on the heavy side, so I think the slower burning fg is better. I could live with either fg or ffg in anything except the very large caliber muskets.

I use 3f in all but my .58 caliber gun. The .58 prefers 2f for best accuracy. In my last order of 25# of powder, I got 23# of 3f and 2# of 2f. Enough 2f to last me several hunting seasons.

One powder for both will work. The burn rate is the difference.
Larry Pletcher's timing tests proved that Swiss Null B priming powder is the fastest when timed. 4F is next. BUT-- he also said that you can't perceive(feel) the difference between them. I like to feel that I am doing all I can to beat my wobbles or catch a spark on a hang so I use Null B for priming. 2F and 3F for different calibers.

In my accuracy tests, I found that 3F is more accurate. My thought is that the higher initial pressure makes the patch tight to the ball. Just sayin.

I use 3F for most everything from .32 to .62. Yes I do occasionally use 2F but 3F is the mainstay. I also prime with 4F just cause I have plenty.

I use 3F for most everything from .32 to .62. Yes I do occasionally use 2F but 3F is the mainstay. I also prime with 4F just cause I have plenty.
I tried going the 3F route once. Bought a T/C Hawken. Really disappointed at my groups! tried 2F, and blew the center of the target away. My rifle made the decision for me.

FFg for a main charge and 4F in the pan for EVERYTHING including.36 longrifle and .40 flint pistol. 10 Texas state championships, 4 National Territorials (not all w flintlock but all w FFg) says it works.

Back