• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Older CVA #11 Caps in Blue Container

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dozen containers of old caps, various makes, that I ran across the other day when I was going through some of my gear that my dad put in the garage back in 1977. I'm firm on the date since I went to boot in 1977. Best I can remember I started buying caps about 1973. I had placed them in a sealed bag inside a ammo box. I tested a few and they all went off.
View attachment 138872
The tins that they all come in are very cool looking. I noticed people are selling the empty tins on eBay all the time.

I have a few #11 & #10 along with some musket caps from the late '60s & early '70s. Whenever I use them they perform perfectly. As long as they have not been abused they will outlive you.

If I were you, I would test them to see if they are corrosive. An acquaintance once handed me an old, full tin of caps that someone had given him. It didn't even occur to me that they were old enough to be corrosively primed. I fired two caps to test a percussion rifle I was building at the time. When I went to remove the lock the following day, the nipple and surrounding area had already corroded. I quickly swabbed and oiled the bore and cleaned off the rust on the nipple, barrel exterior and hammer. Luckily, only 24 hours had elapsed.

If primed with gray primer they are most definitely corrosive. I always clean whether testing or firing an actual charge. Guess it's an old habit from back when all were corrosive.

Last edited:
The caps still work great but has anyone ever figured out what the plastic "tins" are good for? They are bound to have some useful purpose.
I put grease, Crisco or Bore Butter in some old cap boxes and carry them in my possibles bag. It makes it easy to grease/lube a patch when needed.

They are corrosive and powerful. If you clean soon and well you will be ok. It's about like using Pyrodex.If you clean well enough for that you will be good with these. The home made caps using the Prime-all are the same way.

As others mentioned they are likely corrosive but I used them for several years in the late 70s with no I’ll effect. Just thoroughly clean the barrel, nipple channel and nipple in a timely manner after use. I still have the revolver and TC Hawken that used them and they are still in good but well used condition.

Back