• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using Modern Barrels for a muzzleloading shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pondered a bit on doing the same. The first problem is finding affordable barrels that will still be long enough after cutting off the three inch chamber. Then comes the issue of machining breechplugs, double shotgun plugs are rather complex little parts. Then stocking an ML double shotgun is no simple matter. By the time you pay for all the parts you could probably pick up a nice used Pedersoli for less money and a whole lot less aggravation. 😁
Can someone tell me why when converting a modern cartridge shotgun barrel to a Muzzleloader barrel do you have to cut off the 3 inch chamber?
I’m asking because I can take my 3 inch chamber 2 3/4 shells in it no problem..
Just wondering

I would cut off most but not all of it.

If the barrel is a 12 guage, the chamber diameter is about .800. The minor diameter for a 7/8-14UNF thread is about .798 -.814 so, the chamber is at the tap drill size without modifying it.

If the barrel is a 20 guage, the chamber diameter is about .685. The minor diameter for a 3/4-16 UNF thread is about .682 - .696 so, the chamber is already at the tap drill size for that thread.

While using the existing chamber won't create the nice shoulder that is normally used for a breech plug to butt up against, there are other, non-traditional ways of sealing the breech plug threads against leakage.

The easiest way to do it is not exactly traditional muzzle loading but might be an experiment to see if you want to go through the effort.

Cut off the front of a couple of shells, and just use the primed hulls. Better still is to get some brass full length cases. Load the barrels from the muzzle with traditional muzzle loading loads. You will find that choked barrels present their own set of challenges. The shell hulls in the chamber will be a bit of a nuisance that wads might hang up on a little too, but you'll at least get something of a feel for it. Then, if you decide against it, you won't be out much, and nothing (except a couple of shells) will have been defaced in the process.

I made a pair of Smith 10 bore BL barrels up into a double flint gun. For a Gentleman named Herman Marker who used to run the Skeet range at F' ship . He had the barrels only . I cut shorter the chambers and contrived a glorified 'Chamber 'plug the huts into the false breach & its vents run though the walls rather than separate Nocks screwed in The Locks where ex Cawnpore but proportioned to the larger barrels yes made it wide though the scears where not so far apart as I let them in more . Brass mounted my own patterns. Don't recall a rod as he wanted a Pigeon gun (Clay).

Feature of it was the tubes had one Damascus the other was twist. Not normal I suspect Smiths got the' in the white' tubes mixed and not till they are browned would you discover that . At which point I guess they just blew it out as a novelty . last I saw it was in Greenville OH . His log house was up towards Willow Dell . Fine gentleman gone now . might find a pic .
Regards Rudyard

For several years I have been using a Vic Beeson 12 ga. in line that has an adopted Remington 870 barrel. It has a modified choke and does well at trap out to 20 yards from the trap house. Using Goex fff, 2 & 3/4 drams and an ounce and one eighth of number seven shot is good on clays. The mod choke is not much trouble to load through. With the described load one can shoot mostly all day without cleaning. I have used this shotgun much on the Friendship trap range at the spring nationals.

I would cut off most but not all of it.

If the barrel is a 12 guage, the chamber diameter is about .800. The minor diameter for a 7/8-14UNF thread is about .798 -.814 so, the chamber is at the tap drill size without modifying it.

If the barrel is a 20 guage, the chamber diameter is about .685. The minor diameter for a 3/4-16 UNF thread is about .682 - .696 so, the chamber is already at the tap drill size for that thread.

While using the existing chamber won't create the nice shoulder that is normally used for a breech plug to butt up against, there are other, non-traditional ways of sealing the breech plug threads against leakage.

This is something I too have pondered. It sounds like, according to Zonie, that a 20ga barrel, using a 3/4-16 tap would work best. What then, would be a good, non-traditional way of sealing the breech plug threds against leakage?

You have to get William Brockway's book,"Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun". As far as I know available at virtually all the muzzleloader shops that sell books. Many details on how to build the gun and how to breach modern barrels.

^This fellow had the answer, 12 years ago, in post #7

If you leave the lock plates parallel it makes too clunky of a gun.
If I replaced both firing pins on an L. C. Smith SxS 12 ga . external hammers with appropriate size black powder nipples, any chance this would work as a muzzle loader ?

If a deep brass cart case had a hole to allow sparks it would seal to some extent no worse than some external cappers where can it go ? similar plans where made . Rebounder as most such locks are shouldnt impede the function you would however have the chamber very loose for any hard wadding be Ok with soft like paper . with some sort of liner for the chamber . The old full brass 'Perfects' might suit . never tried it but wont burst I wouldnt think.
Rudyard

Latest posts

Back