• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using car wax as a preservative

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Johnson’s paste wax on my wood, some gets on the metal and and I wipe it down, but specifically wax on the metal I don’t do.
However I do note afterwards it beads water and wipes off real easy

I wax the bottom of the barrels on my pinned long rifles before assembly to keep rust at bay. I use the air nozzle on my compressor to blow any moisture residue from the barrel channel if I happen to get the gun wet in nasty weather. I also wax the barrel channel itself.

I've used Turtle Wax on modern guns. Never tried it on a muzzleloader. I've used New Finish on modern brass.
Can't see why it wouldn't work on a muzzleloader, but, I hear great things about both Renaissance Wax and a micro-crystaline wax that I think was from Kibler or one of the other big gun kit makers that makes some other stains and finishes.

Has anyone used car wax or any other wax on carbon steel to keep rust at bay?
No.
There are too many other easily available options that will help with that issue. Use car wax on the car.
If car wax was meant to be used to prevent rust on guns,, the wax maker would absolutely tell you to use it for waxing your car and gun care.
If a good car wax was available for gun care,, Would be on "gun care" shelves also.
And they'd tell ya to care for your gun, and wax your car too. (period)

"Buy two", on sale this month, use the form available on-line and get a rebate,, simply tell us about yourself, name, address, email and phone number required.
"Rebate" can only be applied towards next purchase,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Years ago I always used Johnson or Butchers wax on the metal before a rainy day hunt. Back in the early 60's gun oils were not as advanced as today. Now with modern gun oils there is no need for a wax. I use Fluid Film today and it is the best I have found so far.

I did a published experiment on piano wire using 11 different treatments, including WD40, Ballistol, lacquers, waxes and oils.

My best treatments were Howards FeednWax (beeswax) and Marvel Mystery Oil (!).

Ballistol and WD 40 were only so-so and a few treatments were worse than nothing (metal polishes like FLITZ or MAAS).

I heavily depend on Axe Wax to keep my firearms, knifes, tomahawks, etc from rusting. Just wipe some on, wait a few minutes, then buff off. I'll treat everything two or three times a year. I use it over boiled linseed oil finish on wood, and on my leather stuff as well. It just works very well to protect and preserve.
$_1.jpeg.jpg

Perhaps related perhaps not. My folks who tumble and reload brass cartridges cases will add a car wax to the tumbling media. Lubes the brass and keeps it shiny. So if it’s good for brass why not steel.
I do not however use any wax on firearms but do on cast iron power tool tables in my wood shop.

Perhaps related perhaps not. My folks who tumble and reload brass cartridges cases will add a car wax to the tumbling media. Lubes the brass and keeps it shiny. So if it’s good for brass why not steel.
I do not however use any wax on firearms but do on cast iron power tool tables in my wood shop.
As early as 1971 I was using a Johnson paste wax which had carnauba in it. I was put on this by an old colleague who used “Blue Poly” on his service revolver at that time. He said he’d been using it for years and never had issues with rust. I continued using it on all of my firearms ( the unmentionable ones) with no issues. I used that yellow peppermint smelling stuff in a tube “Wonderlube 1000” on my muzzle loading guns and havre ever had a rust issue. One thing should be stressed and that is that you just can’t leave the guns idle for a long time without wiping them down on a routine basis. That’s only using common sense. Many of you will be more comfortable with using modern oils used for firearms maintenance so the same thing applies I would think. Whatever floats your boat 🙂

An excellent idea. I have a band saw and drill press that seem to rust all the time and I live in the Sonoran desert. Thanks for the suggestion.

No.
There are too many other easily available options that will help with that issue. Use car wax on the car.
If car wax was meant to be used to prevent rust on guns,, the wax maker would absolutely tell you to use it for waxing your car and gun care.
If a good car wax was available for gun care,, Would be on "gun care" shelves also.
And they'd tell ya to care for your gun, and wax your car too. (period)

"Buy two", on sale this month, use the form available on-line and get a rebate,, simply tell us about yourself, name, address, email and phone number required.
"Rebate" can only be applied towards next purchase,,,,,,,,,,,

I disagree. There are many products available that will do certain jobs other than only what they are labeled for. It's very feasible to use some of the automotive, household, and industrial products on firearms of all kinds. Even antique ones. It's up to the user to learn which ones, as the OP is doing here.

Back