• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a Patch Knife.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched for postings, but everything was about making or selling patch knives, not using them.
I've seen one feller put the end of the long patch material over the muzzle, place the ball, and cut off the patch that wasn't under the ball. I don't remember if he started the ball into the muzzle or not.
That seems like a logical method, but I've only seen him do it once.
Do y'all do it like this, for uncut patches, or do you have other steps or methods involved?
How do you lube?
I know this is a pretty basic question, but I'm just getting started, and I don't want the other shooters laughing at me for doing something dumb.
Thanks,
Brazos

Last edited:
Put your lubed strip of un-cut patch material over the muzzle, center your ball sprue up, and push into the muzzle until the ball is just under the outside of the muzzle (if that makes sense...) Trim off the excess patch material. As for lube, well, there are a million opinions!

Put your lubed strip of un-cut patch material over the muzzle, center your ball sprue up, and push into the muzzle until the ball is just under the outside of the muzzle (if that makes sense...) Trim off the excess patch material. As for lube, well, there are a million opinions!
Yup, that's what that feller did. Looks like a consensus!
I'm just learning about lube, too. Do you pre-lube the patch material, and then roll it, or fold it, until needed? How do you carry the lubed patch material without lubing everything you have? I'm shooting to be HC, so I can't use plastic boxes or bags.

I used to pre lube my patching strips but that got messy (all depends on what your lube is). After 15 years of shooting I now use a small spray bottle with water and a little dawn detergent. I spritz the end of my patch strip and load and cut as mentioned. If in the field I just spit patch.

I searched for postings, but everything was about making or selling patch knives, not using them.
I've seen one feller put the end of the long patch material over the muzzle, place the ball, and cut off the patch that wasn't under the ball. I don't remember if he started the ball into the muzzle or not.
That seems like a logical method, but I've only seen him do it once.
Do y'all do it like this, for uncut patches, or do you have other steps or methods involved?
How do you lube?
I know this is a pretty basic question, but I'm just getting started, and I don't want the other shooters laughing at me for doing something dumb.
Thanks,
Brazos
Brazos John:
Not dumb at all!! I used to keep a foot long piece of muslin hanging out of my mouth at all the rondys and shoots. I kept it wet with saliva. I cut my patches at the muzzle just like you described that guy doing.
I did "press" the ball into the barrel just flush with the top of the muzzle, then pull up on the patch strip and cut off the excess over top of the ball.
I hope this helps. You could always use pre-cut patches and avoid cutting at the muzzle. Most of us die-hards cut from the strip as described, or carry pre-cut, pre-lubed patching squares in their shooting bag.
God bless:
Two Fethers

Yeah...like he said. :doh:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Thanks, Two Feathers,
When I saw the feller doing it, I thought that was really cool. Now y'all have given me the confidence that I'll be doing it right.
I don't think I'll be hanging it from my mouth (the bear oil lube smells pretty good, but I don't hanker to taste it), so I'll figure out something else.
Maybe it's just one little step at a time, but I'm still going forward!
Thanks, y'all.
Brazos

Brazos John:
No, no no. I didn't mean put the lubed strip in your mouth. I meant put the end of the non-lubed, clean muslin strip in your mouth, and kinda' just chew on it enought to wet it. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I forgot that you said this was all new to you? The other option is.....lube the entire length of patching material and hang it from your bag strap like Bob McBride does. Then it's always right there, about the right height, and as you use it up, just slide it up the strap.
My apologies.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Years ago it was a lot more common to use a patch knife, I think the feeling was better accuracy because every ball had the same cradled patch whereas using a pre-cut patch -if off center- might impact accuracy. Make sure your patch knife is sharp- nice clean cut.

Start the ball over the patch by using the side of the handle of your knife to press the ball into the barrel completely flush with the muzzle, pull the tag and slack ends of the patch strip tightly upwards and cut off completely flush with the muzzle. Ram the (now patched) ball home to the breech where it belongs.

Now fire the ball. Walk out a few yards and pick up the patch. It will look as if it was cut from a circle.

Yup, that's what that feller did. Looks like a consensus!
I'm just learning about lube, too. Do you pre-lube the patch material, and then roll it, or fold it, until needed? How do you carry the lubed patch material without lubing everything you have? I'm shooting to be HC, so I can't use plastic boxes or bags.
Ive seen a guy with a strip of pillow ticking hanging out of his mouth just prior to loading. I asked if that was just to keep the end handy and the guy nodded and just said "lube to" laid the spit wet end over the muzzle, pushed the ball into the ticking and below the muzzle edge, took his foot long hand made Tennessee toothpick from his sheath and cut the material at the muzzle then drove it home with a ram rod.

Hello. I use a patch knife all the time. I have been shooting BP for a decent amount of time on and off. I actually do the same steps that have been talked about above but prelube my patch strips prior to shooting and just keep it as a roll of patch material in the bag. I have recently purchased a coning tool to cone my barrel to get rid of the ball starter and make a 6 ball loading block as well for hunting. That removes the need for me to worry about patches and balls when in the field. Just find out what works for you. Any good BP shooter won’t make fun of you.

Last edited:
Back