• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uses for Turkey Beards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pan brush. I use a small antler tip. Drill out and glue beard into it. Then decorate the antler if you want. Dan.

My experience is as they dry out they become brittle. They are actually a type of feather. If you expose them to much they break.

They are beautiful to display! Hope you find something useful for them! Good luck and let us know what you do! Pictures!!!!

So I started writing the last post and got distracted before I submitted it.

Does the beard hold up to much use as a pan brush? Or is it mostly decorative?

They do dry up fairly quick and aren't really going to last if you plan on using them for things like a pan brush. I have hung them up as trophy type stuff in my shop and one day look over and pieces have fallen off onto the floor. You are dealing with feathers, and no way to really keep them from getting brittle.

They do dry up fairly quick and aren't really going to last if you plan on using them for things like a pan brush. I have hung them up as trophy type stuff in my shop and one day look over and pieces have fallen off onto the floor. You are dealing with feathers, and no way to really keep them from getting brittle.
That's what I was afraid of.
Thanks for the information.

Has anyone ever tried spraying clear lacquer on a beard feather?

I'm thinking a good dossing of lacquer (or three or four or six or eight coats) might dry into a invisible plastic film that could hold the feather together so it wouldn't fall apart.

It wouldn't be very durable so the feather couldn't be used in a hat or something that's going to get a lot of shaking but maybe it wouldn't fall apart?

You can whip-finish the base of the beard to keep it together. The same way you would finish tying a trout fly or that you would use thread to prevent the end of a rope from fraying can be used on a beard. Leaving a loop to hang it from is easy to do too.

beards getting brittle over time has been my experience too. SO when folks suggested a pan brush I was skeptical. But apparently some folks do make pan brushes with them. Maybe it has something to do with climate, cause out west where its dry, they don't hold up.

For flies, I don't know what good they would do. Maybe as legs??

Pictures of uses??

Latest posts

Back