• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Used TC Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane a gress

40 Cal
Reaction score
There was a local estate sale today. Among the dozen or so guns was a TC 50 caliber
flint Hawken. The bidding started at 200. I jumped in but soon I got out. The bidding ended at 475. It was a clean rifle, good bore as far as I could see. A little surface rust around and in the pan, could be easily cleaned. It was well taken care of just not used in a while. I got to thinking what would this bring elsewhere in the country. It's hard to find a used flintlock here in Fulton county PA.

I have seen a .45 caliber TC Hawkin at an auction eastern Kansas , excellent shape, but it was a cap lock, $220.00. 3 months ago

Last edited:
Unless I knew the condition of the bore, I would be out before $200. If needed, rebore is going to cost about $150. You see many TCs in good condition sit at $300. And a little ‘surface rust around the pan’ is a red flag. If someone can’t keep what you can easily see clean, how likely is they kept the bore in pristine condition.

Unless I knew the condition of the bore, I would be out before $200. If needed, rebore is going to cost about $150. You see many TCs in good condition sit at $300. And a little ‘surface rust around the pan’ is a red flag. If someone can’t keep what you can easily see clean, how likely is they kept the bore in pristine condition.
If I was to guess, the husband had passed some time ago and the widow was having the sale. Judging by the other hunting and farm items everything was well taken care of. The minor rust in the pan may have come from sitting in a gun cabinet for a time. I have been to several sales in the past year and all guns are selling in the high range.

Yes,the TC flintlocks are worth a little a little more than the caplocks.And the early TC's Flintlocks left a lot to be desired. That being said $475 for that rifle was way to much,but hey thats the way auctions go sometimes! I suspect their were family members bidding for Daddy's or Grandpas heirlooms.

Yes,the TC flintlocks are worth a little a little more than the caplocks.And the early TC's Flintlocks left a lot to be desired. That being said $475 for that rifle was way to much,but hey thats the way auctions go sometimes! I suspect their were family members bidding for Daddy's or Grandpas heirlooms.
That's the going price in our area

I typically go to four gun auctions per year, I look at just about anything and everything at auctions, however I only bid on Pre-98 designs. In our area, over the last few years there has been an increase in the sale prices of firearms in general and the muzzleloaders have been no acceptation. I cannot touch a T/C product for under $200 these days unless it is fence post quality (rust everywhere) and still they bring $150 or more. Typical selling price ranges of a decent T/C Hawken are $250 to $400, again that is in my area. $250 guns have some issues; blue missing, minor rust or less than perfect bore. $400 guns are in good condition; clean with little or no rust, good bore, but may have a minor ding or two in the wood. Flintlocks and guns in original boxes with paperwork carry a premium above regular selling prices.

A few years ago I brought home three exceptional muzzleloaders for $600, however those days are gone. Since the day Thompson Center announced they were stopping production of their traditional muzzleloaders the prices have increased. I believe, a contributing factor in the increase in prices is do in part to people selling them off on various auction websites, many times the old T/C's are simply worth more as parts than a whole. Just my two cents worth, keep in mind its value is worth what you paid for it!

I typically go to four gun auctions per year, I look at just about anything and everything at auctions, however I only bid on Pre-98 designs. In our area, over the last few years there has been an increase in the sale prices of firearms in general and the muzzleloaders have been no acceptation. I cannot touch a T/C product for under $200 these days unless it is fence post quality (rust everywhere) and still they bring $150 or more. Typical selling price ranges of a decent T/C Hawken are $250 to $400, again that is in my area. $250 guns have some issues; blue missing, minor rust or less than perfect bore. $400 guns are in good condition; clean with little or no rust, good bore, but may have a minor ding or two in the wood. Flintlocks and guns in original boxes with paperwork carry a premium above regular selling prices.

A few years ago I brought home three exceptional muzzleloaders for $600, however those days are gone. Since the day Thompson Center announced they were stopping production of their traditional muzzleloaders the prices have increased. I believe, a contributing factor in the increase in prices is do in part to people selling them off on various auction websites, many times the old T/C's are simply worth more as parts than a whole. Just my two cents worth, keep in mind its value is worth what you paid for it!
Waarp8nt,what are the Pre-98 designs? Thanks.

Our county has a strong hunting heritage. Add to that the PA flintlock season. Then the county's largest employer shuts down the week between Christmas and New Years. That's when our flintlock season opens. Supply and demand at work I guess. Makes it hard to buy cheap used guns around here.

Waarp8nt,what are the Pre-98 designs? Thanks.
100+ year old firearms that typically don’t require FFL as they are considered antiques.
That would be pre (18)98 firearms.

bubba.50 and Grenadier1758 nailed it. Pre 1898 firearms are considered antiques. I like originals if I can find them (antiques), however a good quality muzzleloader for the right money is hard to pass up. The T/C being of modern production regardless of design (even though loosely made to look Pre 98), requires FFL paperwork by Illinois law.

There is a guy offering a TC hawken kit on GunBroker for $700, I saw another for $500, they must have become collectors items while I wasn't looking. I had a similar kit a short time ago, I researched the going price so as to compensate the owner fairly, the $300 I paid him was more than generous from what I found.

Those old TC’s are not being made any longer as we all know,
Which in turn drives the prices up somewhat.

Finding a TC in good shape is worth what ever the Buyer is willing too pay...
20 years from now you may not be able too find one, and if you do it’s going too cost you a pretty penny.

I’ve owned several over the years and they are great guns for the money.

I’d rather pay top dollar for a good used TC than pay approx. the same money for a fake, plastic stocked piece of manure they refer too as a M/L...

I’m down to one TC in my Safe , it’s a .50 cal Renegade Flintlock , that has one of my Grandsons names on it...providing he continues to show interest in these old guns.

There was a local estate sale today. Among the dozen or so guns was a TC 50 caliber
flint Hawken. The bidding started at 200. I jumped in but soon I got out. The bidding ended at 475. It was a clean rifle, good bore as far as I could see. A little surface rust around and in the pan, could be easily cleaned. It was well taken care of just not used in a while. I got to thinking what would this bring elsewhere in the country. It's hard to find a used flintlock here in Fulton county PA.
Wow, that's a lot to pay for a used TC; must've been couple guys really wanting it! Add in the sales tax, if applicable, and the buyer's premium, that's a big bill! I've discovered couple auctions in SE Pa. that regularly have gun sales; can find some good items if you know your dollar limit. Rural PA is a great thing, outside the big cities!

I have a 1975 50 TC Hawken, both flintlock and percussion. It has spade stamp on barrel. Right now I'm trying to find non-lead bullets that'll work well in it. I may need another barrel?

Live estate auctions can get out of hand. TC probably being bid on by family. My dad was asked to get me a good gun from his uncles estate years ago. He brought me an old Winchester single shot .22 and cost me $300!! He was apparently bidding against a cousin and he didnt know....they both learned to shoot on this rifle. In decent shape and now my sons so worth it though at the time didn't seem like it. Was probably easier for him to bid with my money!!! LOL Same rifle at a pawn shop would have cost $100.00 tops

Live estate auctions can get out of hand. TC probably being bid on by family. My dad was asked to get me a good gun from his uncles estate years ago. He brought me an old Winchester single shot .22 and cost me $300!! He was apparently bidding against a cousin and he didnt know....they both learned to shoot on this rifle. In decent shape and now my sons so worth it though at the time didn't seem like it. Was probably easier for him to bid with my money!!! LOL Same rifle at a pawn shop would have cost $100.00 tops
Some folks must turn in their brains to get a buyer's number.

To a lot of people at an auction, it's a matter of, "winning" or "loosing".
With the idea that, "no one is going to beat me", they keep on bidding and bidding, usually jacking the price up a lot higher than the item is worth.

I even see people posting on the forum about how "they won" a gun on one of the web auction houses.:confused:

IMO, they didn't, "win". They just lost a lot of money just trying to beat someone else.

Back