• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Use of Tow wadding in smoothbore. Tips sought.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sartana

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to flinktlocks and I have a question about Tow. I would like to use it as my wadding in my smoothbore as it seems Colonial period correct but I understand that it is of course, flammable. So, what do folks use to decrease the flammable aspect of Tow, if anything? I have seen mention of oiling it with 'mink tallow'. Thoughts?

So, what do folks use to decrease the flammable aspect of Tow
This is how I do it.
Grab a wad of tow and pinch it up in your fingers, then dag it across your tin of lube, (I use beeswax and olive oil mix) then place it in the palm of your hand and roll the wad into a ball (both hands together rotating in a circular motion) that will fit down the bore. It doesn't take much lube, this will make it resistant to ignition when fired, and helps keep powder fouling soft.

Be smart though, still practice good fire safety, Especially in dry regions. Police your spent tow balls.

Some tow, I have discovered, is treated with a fire retardant. However, many of the vendors don't know if their tow has been treated or not.

I bought some tow from Smiling Fox a number of years ago, specifically to try as tinder with a new flint and steel. I couldn't get a fire going with it to save my life, but starting a fire with the same flint and steel, and char from the same batch, was no problem with some of the other tinders I used. I finally tried just lighting that tow with a match, to see what would happen. I found it would smolder and disintegrate, but would not flame. I researched it some, and discovered the issue of fire retardant.

You could ask the vendor if his/her tow has been treated, but chances are they won't know. I think your best advice, if you want to use tow, would be to follow the excellent recommendations provided by Brokennock and Carbon 6, even if your tow has been treated with a fire retardant. That little bit of extra lube will probably help keep your fouling soft. I might also suggest you look up the thread on wads started recently by Smokey Plainsman. I had no idea that bore-sized cut wads had been in use for so long... Since the mid 18th century! Spence 10 provided documentation of this. Also, the "Bevel Brothers" wrote an article about testing various wad materials in the June 2020 issue of Muzzle Blasts. I don't know how round balls would be affected, but with shot loads, they found there was a jaw-dropping loss of velocity and pattern density when shooting wadding of grass fiber as compared to card wads. I would expect similar results with tow, authenticity notwithstanding.

It's always good to experiment, provided you keep safety foremost.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Turkey foot traders has it in good quality. Cut off a bout a bore sized and spoon a little grease on to it like lard or mink oil. Roll it between your palms.

Ive never used it, would like to find a source for some to try.
If it is flammable then oiling it doesn't sound like it would lessen the fire hazard.
Eterry.....Look up The Woolery online for flax tow. That's where I get mine and use it for cleaning my barrels on my caplocks and it can be washed out and reused. I use it with a tow worm, brother.

Buy a bag of jute fiber Moss on Amazon. The bags are HUGE. It’s all I use and I’ve never seen it smolder.
AAYU Brand Jute Fiber Moss | Premium Natural Fiber | 500 Grams or 17.6 Ounces | Natural Product, Eco-Friendly | Excellent Fiber Material | No Artificial Color | Pet Bed and Bird Nest Amazon.com: AAYU Brand Jute Fiber Moss | Premium Natural Fiber | 500 Grams or 17.6 Ounces | Natural Product, Eco-Friendly | Excellent Fiber Material | No Artificial Color | Pet Bed and Bird Nest: Garden & Outdoor

I use a tow worm but also have good luck with a wad of tow on a braided line. Push it down w/ the ramrod; draw it out; wadd/roll it up; & tuck it in my bag. Takes no hardly any space & I don't have to fit the worm to clean - even between shots,

Latest posts

Back