Use of the hunting sword

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Gunny5821

Richard Turner
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
European Boar spears have a crossbar about 18" from the point. Stops the Kentukian's problem.. OLD DOG..
Not a boar spear, but has the wings. This is one of Cold Steel's Greek style spearhead. This head is 24" oal and the blade is 3" wide.
IMG_20211020_154408_384.jpg

beardedhorse

Pilgrim
Reaction score
An outfit called the Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma had parts for the making of a hunting short sword. Looked like casting of a truncated sword with large fuller. Anybody order or make a hunting sword from their parts? Would be quick back up when muzzle loading bear and less cumbersome and effective as a long spear.

Reno

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I do believe they migrated from the European area mostly Germany, Bavaria etc. once they weee here in America I believe they found use as a personal weapon in the early wars. Rev War, F&I. 1812. But then they seemed to not be seen or used as much. I think because the country was becoming more
Mobile.

Bad Karma

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We are forgetting expressions of male machismo. While a spear would be much "smarter" for use on a wounded boar or bear because it reduces the risk to the user, the heightened risk of closing with a wounded dangerous animal and using a short sword results in a greater amount of bragging rights. Meshach Browning often documents his own use of a butcher knife to dispatch a bear that he has wounded. Why not load a good powder load and double the patched ball and be thus "loaded for bear" and dispose of the need for the butcher knife? I suggest it was for the same reason German lads and men used hunting swords.....

LD
And the Masai… Plains Indians counting coup on sleeping enemies, etc. boys want to be men.

Bad Karma

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Surprised nobody’s mentioned Sasha Seimel, a very successful Jaguar hunter back in the day, his preferred weapon was the spear.

9BCBEA03-DF57-4844-A47D-F2ADF8D7ECC5.jpeg
2EE8AD55-FE25-4B0B-9886-5B07031739CB.png

BillinOregon

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of interesting replies here. It sounds like the hunting sword is marginally useful -- most likely hunting boars and hogs with dogs.
An internet acquaintance is Dr. Juan Pozzi, an officer in the Argentine Army who offers boar hunting with blades using his Dogo Argentinos to seize the quarry whilst the hunter administers the coup de grace.
By the way, this interesting dog breed was recently recognized here by the AKC.

Latest posts