Use of rope for straps

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Boston123

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So, I purchased the Townsends Hunting Pouch a while back, and decided I didnt like it after using it at the range. The strap is too long, mainly. Even at the shortest setting, the bag sits down below my hips.

So, i decided to make my own. Since I live in New England, i decided to base it mainly off the Lyman pouch, only as a shoulder bag as opposed to a belt-bag.

My.main issue is this: I dont have a lot of leather. Enough to make the bag. But the leather strap I bought from the local arts-n-crafts store is such a length to make the hypothetical pouch ride high-and-tight with me just in a T-shirt, much less a modern coat or 18th century multiple-layer ensemble.

What I do have a bunch of, however, is laid hemp and jute rope. Splice some eyes into that and I can make whatever length strap I want.

I just dont know if it is PC to do so.

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Not that we know of. If done, it was most likely just a field expedient fix for a broken strap.

Precut leather strap is available at your local Tandy leather, or for longer lengths in the thinner weight that I use for straps, Zach White Leather online.

Hemp webbing available from Turkey Foot Traders is a decent option for a fabric strap.

Where in New England are you? Maybe I can help.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
The hemp webbing is a good choice. Leather is better, but it may be difficult to find the same color strap as your bag.

pilot

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Can you shorten the strap? If you cut it and over lap the ends, punch some holes and lace it with leather lacing?

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One thing if your bent on historical correctness , Most leather strapping was lengthened or shortened as needed. If the leathers to lengthen are not the correct color , dye it. Don't know what era your shot pouch falls into . If historical correctness is paramount , look up the era of when different types woven rope was made. If the era of the shot pouch and the era of the woven rope match , go for it. Personally , I'm utilitarian in my views of whats historically correct. To explain......If say some shot pouch falls into the wide time period of the flint lock era , I'll blend those ideas into something I make. The average guy at a m/i outing has no idea of what's correct , or not correct. Oh well, I'm off in the weeds again..................oldwood

Boston123

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So, here is a photo of the leather sheets I dyed (using 3 coats of a "dark brown" dye) and the pre-made leather strap.

I am guessing I could try to darken the leather some more, to better match the strap. Anyone have any good techniques for that?

20210227_132945.jpg

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Boston... Looks like you're on the right track. Finish the project before dyeing it. Mix up some dye the color needed . Use a Windex spray bottle to coat it , but try the new mix on a piece of scrap leather to see if it matches. If u like the color , do it. If impatient like I am , gently dry the project with a heat gun or hair dryer . When it feels good and dry to the touch , put some leather conditioner on it to soften the leather if desired. If using an animal fat grease to condition the leather , use your heat gun again to warm the leather so the grease is absorbed .
Also there is a leather conditioner from the auto parts store that sprays on from a spray bottle for lazy slugs like me . I make heavy weight leather slings for the m/l rifles , and trade muskets I create out of heavy wt. cow belly leather . I stain them the same as you , but they take lots of conditioner to make them limp. Most everything I build is used for hunting , so a sling is necessary................Luck to ya..........oldwood

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I put my bags and straps in the oven on its lowest setting to warm them for the application of mink and/or neatsfoot oil, or Sno-Seal for more modern leather gear.

Rather than bomb the lighter colored leather with dye, try using Tandy deglazer to rub off some of the color from the strap.

Also, to get the straps and similar items limp/softer I "break" them by clamping a square shafted screw driver in my bench vise, fold the leather around it, and hold the ends to work the leather back and forth against the shaft.

Like I said earlier, depending on where you are in "New England," maybe I can help you out directly.

Banjoman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I made a strap from jute one time but didn’t like it. Too scratchy. I’ve made some using leather belts found at thrift stores and flea markets. These can be good sources for cheap leather sometimes. I’ve even used leather guitar straps.

Boston123

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Rather than bomb the lighter colored leather with dye, try using Tandy deglazer to rub off some of the color from the strap.
I'll have to try that. I would imagine just adding more dye to the leather will eventually stop getting absorbed

Like I said earlier, depending on where you are in "New England," maybe I can help you out directly.
Southern Mass

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm northwest of Hartford, CT. Send me a p.m. if you want to get together and work on it.

I'm just finishing up a bag as I write this,,,IMG_20210227_094045_260.jpg
Not thrilled with the flap compared to the bag made earlier of "incorrect" materials,,,
20210215_081600.jpg
So I'm in the process of adding leather edge binding,,,
20210227_123939.jpg
20210227_152528.jpg

Boston123

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Can you shorten the strap? If you cut it and over lap the ends, punch some holes and lace it with leather lacing?
.....I didn't even think of that. I could cut the strap off the Townsends bag, shorten it, and attach it to the new handmade bag

SOLANCO

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I put my bags and straps in the oven on its lowest setting to warm them for the application of mink and/or neatsfoot oil, or Sno-Seal for more modern leather gear.

Also, to get the straps and similar items limp/softer I "break" them by clamping a square shafted screw driver in my bench vise, fold the leather around it, and hold the ends to work the leather back and forth against the shaft.

"mink and/or neatsfoot oil, or Sno-Seal"
I like Pecard's Leather Dressing. Never thought of warming the leather. Thank you!

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
To be HC I suppose you could use most any leather or cloth. Just don't use parachute cord, they might look at you funny.

Latest posts