• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Use of Kroil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargent

62 Cal.
Reaction score
An old topic I know , but I know this stuff is magic at getting frozen and stuck parts apart in industry and it does say on the can for firearms .So do any of you guys in the S use this on locks etc.?

I have used it on a breech plug that was so tight it would not budge. Kroil penetrated the joint and ran down the tang during an overnight soak. Plug came out with little effort after that.

Kroil is great stuff.....have used it on rusted nipples and breech plugs...as well as rusty car parts, farm equipment etc...

Just be patient and let the Kroil do the work....Even if it takes a few days.

Used it on rusted parts, including exhaust studs on a '56 Willys. Never on a lock.

I have had good luck using Kroil as a penetrating oil , to help break loose tough bolts ect. It has proven to help lift or get under the yrs of crud/ lead and fouling in antique bp. rifles that when purchaed looked a lot worse than after a good soaking and scrubing with Kroil . I will say this from having it happen. If left on a action or any part long enough , more than a couple months . It will take a set / dry-up and leave a brown gummy residue . Solvent will remove it easy enough. But for that reason I would not use it as a lubricant on lock internals and such. ,,,DT

Is it better than ATF mixed in acetone?

For use in lifting lead I've heard Kroil is great for barrel cleaning. Seen more than one grease groove shooting muzzleloader than could have used some help in avoiding the corrosion that starts with build up remaining in the corners of the rifling.

I ran out a year or two ago and am always on the lookout for a local source. It's the best penetrating fluid I have ever used, and I have two stuck screws on a Gahendra from Nepal that desperately need Kroil treatment.

I did see a few mail order sources, Wally world and Amazon, Amazon's price was better, free ship.
Kroil is one of those products that I don't recall ever seeing at local suppliers. Looks like Griangers carries it too, if there is one in your area.

it's good stuff for sure. I bought a can locally but, don't remember if it was at the True-Value hardware or one of the auto-parts places.

I have used it for ten years now and recomend it to any and all as a rust remover-penetrating oil. But I have never used it as a lubricating oil. Also a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works great as a penetrating oil. :idunno:

I believe it is also available through Eastwood.
I recently purchased some other products from them and thought it was available by the gallon or spray. Can't give you a price.

A gallon would be expensive.....but worth every drop....My last small can of Kroil lasted 15 years....A little bit goes a long way and gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back