• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Usable spring steel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What used throw away items are good for making smaller springs? Patch box latch, and lid power springs are what I am thinking about.
Would a Sawzaw blades work?
Thanks
Larry

Try it and let the rest of us know. I prefer to use 1075 annealed spring steel stock that I buy from a steel dealer. I don't mess with unknown steel. There is too much time invested in making a spring to guess how to anneal, harden, temper mystery steel ;) :ThankYou:

I think any type of high carbon steel can be tempered to a spring. I make 440C stainless plain, slip joint folders and use the same for the spring.

Thanks for the replies. My thought is that a hack saw blade would open a patchbox lid, but thinking of trying a thicker sawzall blade for the patch box catch/relase spring. Got to have a hook on that puppy.
Larry

These are low stress applications so many things will work. Mainsprings and frizzen springs requirements are much higher and steel, hardening, and tempering are more critical.

Thanks for the replies. My thought is that a hack saw blade would open a patchbox lid, but thinking of trying a thicker sawzall blade for the patch box catch/relase spring. Got to have a hook on that puppy.
Larry
For your purposes l think a hack saw blade would do the trick. I’ve never re-hardened spring steel before only worked with regular high carbon but the process is basically the same.

We used to get pipe banded with steel, never thought of using for a spring. As a side note I used to amaze the other guys when I cut the bands with my 110 Buck knife I carried every day.

Red Owl is correct. The better saw blades are made with hard teeth and flexible backs called Bi-Metal blades. The cheaper saw blades are made with plane carbon steels.

And, the hacksaw blades you buy at Home Depot are paper thin and about a 1/2" wide. These industrial hacksaw blades are about .10 thin and 1" wide.

Back