• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

US SpringField 1857

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Morgan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This rifle is 48 inches long. Love to find out how old it is and anything someone may know about this model black powder rifle.

Thanks
Ron

Ron,

If marked US and 1857 it is most liklely the model 1855 rifle-musket. Here is a picture of what it looks like. Unique to this model is the Maynard tape primer door on the lock plate.

1855Springfirld.jpg

If it is, it's been cut down. The US rifle-muskets, Models 1855 through 1863 were 56 inches long with 40 inch barrels. Many were cut down over the years for various reasons. The M1855 Rifle on the other hand was 49 inches long. However, the presence of a Springfield lock would indicate that someone put a rifle-musket lock on it, since the rifle was only made at Harpers Ferry. Some pictures would be nice.

Thanks for your response. Could it have been a cadet or a training rifle. Nothing on it looks like it was cut down. Do you know when the 1857 model was made in what years? I will take a picture of it this weekend when I am at the location which has the rifle.
Thanks
Ron

Will send photos of it this next weekend have to get to where the rifle is and take pics of it.
Ron

Ron Morgan said:
Thanks for your response. Could it have been a cadet or a training rifle. Nothing on it looks like it was cut down. Do you know when the 1857 model was made in what years? I will take a picture of it this weekend when I am at the location which has the rifle.
Thanks
Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm sure we will all look forward to seeing the pictures and hopefully will be able to help you identify what it is. It is not likely to either be a cadet or training rifle.

As to the "1857 model", there is no such thing. The date "1857" is just that, the date that the gun or at least the lock was manufactured. At that time, the Model designation was not stamped on US weapons, only the date of manufacture. Therefore, what you probably have is a Model 1855 - either Rifle (33 inch barrel) or Rifle Musket (40 inch barrel) - either of which may have been modified after military service.

Too short. The M1847 Cavalry Musketoon had a 26" barrel and the overall length was 41". The OP says his is 48" OA.

KanawhaRanger said:
Too short. The M1847 Cavalry Musketoon had a 26" barrel and the overall length was 41". The OP says his is 48" OA.

Not even close. Wrong caliber(.69) shorter barrel, different front band, no Maynard ignition. Totally different animal.

Duane

Duane said:
KanawhaRanger said:

Not even close. Wrong caliber(.69) shorter barrel, different front band, no Maynard ignition. Totally different animal.

Duane

Since the OP is describing a firearm he says he saw at another location and the only description is the lock says "Springfield 1857" and may or may not be 48 inches long what exactly is your basis for a determination of "not even close"?Is it even a "rifle"?Is it smoothbore?Given a lock with that date and that armory there are only four choices really ,a Model 1855 Rifle Musket or the M 1847 Musketoon of one pattern or another,the length if accurate is wrong for both,or a cut down M1855 Rifle Musket or a Harpers Ferry M1855 with the wrong lock on it.I see no mentiom of caliber,band styles,Maynard primer lock or much of anything else in the OPs description beyond a Springfield Armory lock dated 1857 and a length given as 48 inches which doesn't fit any known issue arm of that year and armory manufacture.

Yeah, we'll just have to wait for pictures. Since the OP didn't disagree with the pic of the '55, I'm assuming that it must be one of those that he's talking about. If not, the only other Springfield long arm that would fit chronologically is the Artillery Musketoon which was made until 1859. However, it's several inches too short with a total length of 41 inches. I'm sticking with a '55 RM. Have to wait and see.

Also, we have to keep in mind that it could be just about anything made with a Springfield lock - my bets are on a shortened '55 RM. Ron will get pics and we'll know then.

Thanks for the info.

Is that the same as the 1847 artilery musketoon?

Oddly enough I ended up with the specialty bayonett for an artilery musketoon but I dont have a musketoon. It fits the 1842 springfield musket perfectly.

Thanks,

Foster From Flint

There is some difference in the mountings and the way the ramrod is attached and there were several alterations along the way.Some were altered from Cavalry musketoons to artillery pattern.The artillery pattern is steel mounted usually,the cavalry was brass mounted with a swivel ramrod.The artillery has sling swivels,the cavalry has a ring bar and ring.From what I've read in period accounts they were not particularly well liked.

They had problems with the ramrod swivel on the cavalry musketoon and ended up changing the forward band and substituting the swivel with a chain attachment. This became the M1851. I don't see how the chain attachment would have been any better. It would probably explain why so many of these types of arms are seen without either. Soldiers tend to break or remove things that don't work.

Uncle Pig, what kind of bayonet do you have? You said something about a specialty bayonet.

I have a trangle bayonet for the 1847 artilery musketoon. It looks just like the 1842 musket bayonet and can be used on the musket but it is a few inches shorter. I belive they shortened the bayonett liek the shortened the musket to make the musketoon.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

Back