• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US Martial Pistols 1836 and 1842

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used a choked ball cartridge with a ball of usually about .49-50, it depended on the time period, with about 35 grains of "fine pistol powder ". I make them for my .54 Pedersoli Harper's Ferry

Cartridges for pistols varied depending on who made them and when. These pistols were used up through the Mexican War to the Civil War

26506-20200317-133612.jpg

They would look like this

Hey Stantheman86, that pistol looks familiar. ;)

When I owned it, I too made some original style cartridges for it:

0EC6B966-ED36-4B90-90D0-4A36A6DC30B3.jpeg

OP, at least for the M1842 Aston pistols, the pommel holsters used by the cavalry each had a small pouch that held five of these paper cartridges. You can get off a surprisingly good rate of fire on account it’s so much easier to ram down these cartridges in such short a barrel. I also found accuracy to be very acceptable using them.

Stan has himself a fantastic pistol. I’m not afraid to say I miss it!

View attachment 176983

OP, at least for the M1842 Aston pistols, the pommel holsters used by the cavalry each had a small pouch that held five of these paper cartridges. You can get off a surprisingly good rate of fire on account it’s so much easier to ram down these cartridges in such short a barrel. I also found accuracy to be very acceptable using them.

They almost need the paper cartridges to be used as they were supposed to be used, they can hit a silhouette at 50 yards, no problem.

Lube the ball end and you can shoot them all day

I haven't had it out in forever, I made a little rig for it with a holster and a cartridge box but haven't used it yet

View attachment 176983

Thank you

They used a choked ball cartridge with a ball of usually about .49-50, it depended on the time period, with about 35 grains of "fine pistol powder ". I make them for my .54 Pedersoli Harper's Ferry

Cartridges for pistols varied depending on who made them and when. These pistols were used up through the Mexican War to the Civil War
Do you have a pattern for the paper, or at least dimensions. Thanks

Never thought about it. These were n0ot combustible? That is, you tore open the end, poured out the powder, then wadded the paper then rammed the ball?
Were those pistols rifled or smooth bore?

Never thought about it. These were n0ot combustible? That is, you tore open the end, poured out the powder, then wadded the paper then rammed the ball?
Were those pistols rifled or smooth bore?
They were like musket cartridges , the pistols are .54 Smoothbore

Latest posts

Back