• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US Grant’s revolvers sold for over 5 million dollars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm amazed they sold for anything like that, after all, they are pretty old now........................................ ;)

This content is not available in your country/region.

wonder if there is a buyer's premium on top of the sale price?
that is a lot of cabbage but how can one price history? this way I suppose?
Good you tube video. Actual auction price was 4.4 million. 5.1 million is with fees.

wonder if there is a buyer's premium on top of the sale price?
that is a lot of cabbage but how can one price history? this way I suppose?
I saw where the pistols sold for a little over $4,000,000 the the over all price was just over $5,000,000? If this is correct the house made a little over $1,000,000? I am sure some one here knows the true story?

I saw where the pistols sold for a little over $4,000,000 the the over all price was just over $5,000,000? If this is correct the house made a little over $1,000,000? I am sure some one here knows the true story?

Nothing unusual about that price difference. Here in UK some auction houses charge 25% commission PLUS 20% sales tax. If you sell a million-dollar gun it costs the buyer $1,450,000.

Trust me, the buyer got them cheap.

Last edited:
Pretty good investment if you ask me, like land they simply are not making in more Grant pistols.

You never know about auctions. Went to Missouri auction school back in 86, seen tobacco auctions, worked antique, coin, car land and gun auctions. I'm not rich, but I certainly don't like to let my money set around at zero point nothing interest and just for comparison a local gun auction gets 15 percent commission to the buyer and only 5 percent to the seller.

I bid $5000 on one of Ed McGivern pistols and was quickly passed up as the final price was just over $15,000.

Later on another auction I bid on Elmer Keith's Marlin .44 Lever Action. My bid was in the $2400 range and it basically sold for the next bid higher. Cheap in my opinion, but being a poor boy I have my limitations.

Also, placed a bid on a rough 1803 Harpers Ferry and thought sure it would bring $500 to $600, even called the auctioneer to arrange shipping directly to home since it was a pre 98...I stopped bidding at $900. It brought over $1200. I sent the auctioneer an email congratulating him for a job well done!

I've won a Great Western Gunworks original Hawken style rifle, an original Fowler and a couple nice T/C rifles. Lots of fun on a limited income.

Congratulations to the buyer of the Grant pistols!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back