• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US Cot, Folding Canvas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope this thread may be of use to some. I very much needed a cot for my camp and was astonished to find this 1953 Orthopedic Equip. Co. example locally:
004.JPG
In pristine condition, canvas perfect, wood (oak?) perfect, minor paint scuffing on some metal parts. No mildew, no mold, no smell. I thought possibly National Guard armory? Virtually unused. Lo and behold, a later online search revealed a bunch of these for sale now. One source stated they originated from Federal Civil Defense storage and were made in 1953 and 1954. Mil-spec contract etc., but not issued to military and wear is due to handling in storage facilities. Some for sale are advertised as Korean War but apparently more like cold war. My thanks to whomever was in charge of their storage. If one showed up way out here already I bet there's a lot available; hope this isn't old news.:thumb:

(Didn't want to set it in wet grass yet)

I slept on one when I used my Rev War wedge tent for camping (not at events). Easy to transport and added plenty of storage room under it. Get an air mattress and partially inflate it, just enough to take up the empty spaces between you and the cot and it's quite comfortable. If you are camping in cold weather put blankets between you and the air mattress as they will suck the heat out of your body.

Found this 2005 post on page three of army cot search results:
Hey big bore, if you're alone, how about getting a simple wooden cot. the wooden army cots are actually quite similar to rev war officers' cots, they just lack the head and foot boards. the only problem becomes all the cold air flowing around you. :sleep:
Neumann's Early American Antique Country Furnishings shows a "cot (camp) bedstead" with such boards on page 14.

I have a Korean War one that I bought many, many moons ago. Used it for both Civ War & WWII reenacting. Heavy wool blanket over the cot, egg crate mattress over that then the bedding. Always stayed nice and warm. Great place to store coolers, etc out of sight.

Back