• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"Ursus arctos horribilis" (Grizzly Bear) and The Hundred Year's War

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyldbill

32 Cal
Reaction score
An almost lost saga of American history is the battle between America's Westward expansion in the 19th Century and the Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis). Grizzly bears are known for their territorial domination and do not tolerate incursion whether by man or beast. The mountain men, frontiersmen, gold miners, and those seeking to put down roots in the mountainous regions of the Western United States (Grizzly bear territory) were often not adequately possessed with firearms to combat such a beast and a multi-decade battle ensued which hallmarked legendary bears such as "Old Ephraim" or "Three-toes". Interestingly, advancements in firearm technology during America's Civil War, eventually culminated in providing these adventurous souls with the weaponry to eventually assuage such a formidable foe and a hundred's year war.

(As a historian, I enjoy stories that make one sit back and think: "Now ain't THAT interesting!")

I don’t know about that. Indians were killing off bears before the first gunpowder ever burned on the plains. And I’m thinking starting with LAnd C lots more bear died then white boys

I don’t know about that. Indians were killing off bears before the first gunpowder ever burned on the plains. And I’m thinking starting with LAnd C lots more bear died then white boys
Natives were known to kill bears while they hibernated with spears, seems to me if you really needed to kill a bear that would be the easiest way.

Bears don’t hibernate. They do hole up and sleep a lot in winter, but are never in hibernation.
Bears were hunted at any time by warriors. Besides the skin meat and fat, many tribes could count coupon a bear the same as a man

Talk about 'click bait'! Here I was, trying to figure out the connection between the North American 'grizz and the Hundred Years' War between England and France.

I was expecting friend Erwan to make an appearance at some time, but élas, it did not happen. Desolé.:(

Back