• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Upstate NY Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were camping at the Glen State Park this weekend until the deluge hit. Visited a very nice gun shop on rt. 14 on the way home. Good inventory of firearms but not much in muzzle loaders.

Seen any gypsy moths this year...:eek:
Gypsy moths were devastating for a while.

Little fawn sleeping in the back field this morning :)
IMG_0382.JPG

Welcome from Sunbelt. Those are great looking guns you built. Great work. Here is the
thing, accross much of the midwest- Pennsylvania,Ohio,Indiana and in many areas you
have shotgun only hunting. This is due to the range of rifle bullets. Now, in many of those
places I have noticed that muzzleloaders are left alone ,and you can hunt with them. This
varies from place to place. Years ago I hunted with centerfire rifles with scopes. But I always
admired the men who hunted with the primitive weapons-- something about giving the
animal the best chance--and requiring a skilled hunter. Enjoy those beautiful guns you made.

Welcome from S.E. Michigan. If the history of NY guns interests you, the very best source is "The New York State Firearms Trade", five Volumes, Holman J. Swinney, compiled by Tom Rowe. I was lucky enough to spend an evening with Mr. Swinney a couple decades ago. It was like he almost personally knew all the 19th century NY makers - and their families.

Back