• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Upgrading the TCs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I have posted a few threads in the classifieds and gotten some sound advice, which I am following, I figured I'd share some of the enhancements I am making to my TC Hawken and Renegade. The pan/frizzen on my hawken will not hold powder at all. I contemplated replacing the lock, but got some good advice to connect with Brad at Cabin Creek. One very informative phone call, and replacing the frizzen and tuning the lock seemed to be a no-brainer. I dropped both guns off this week and hope to have them back soon.

I have also been thinking about a faster twist than the TCs have to better handle canonicals/maxi-balls. Brad suggested I connect with Bobby Hoyt to discuss a re-bore from 50 to 54 or to possibly install a new liner and stay with 50 cal. I will in all likelihood go this route, if I can get them back prior to the PA late season flintlock....as this is my only real application for these rifles.

I've read lots of threads on this forum about 54 caliber, etc. The only real drawback I see for me is the more limited selection of canonicals (no Hornady great plains). But would be interested in any views you have on moving to 54 and if you are not shooting PRB, what canonical you use. Also, any thoughts on the re-bore vs the liner/new bore would be welcome.

I shoot my.54 T/C flintlock with a patched round ball as the good lord intended it.. ;)

That being said, I've had decent luck with my .54 T/C caplock with the Lee R.E.A.L. on paper, never tried hunting with it. Best luck hunting was with an old out of production Ohaus hollow base mold, took an 8pt buck at 137 open sights.

Last edited:
Give your T/Cs a chance. The barrels with the 1 in 48 twist and shallow grooves are compatible with the Maxi-Ball and with proper load development, a patched round ball. The smaller Lee REAL conical bullets have been seen to perform well with the T/C stock barrels. The locks do need some attention, especially the flint locks.

@setch, when you get the locks back, take some time at the range to see how the various conicals and patched round balls perform. You may find the performance acceptable.

Give your T/Cs a chance. The barrels with the 1 in 48 twist and shallow grooves are compatible with the Maxi-Ball and with proper load development, a patched round ball. The smaller Lee REAL conical bullets have been seen to perform well with the T/C stock barrels.

Well written and sound advice! I believe the re-bore barrels are a good deal for someone who has neglected their barrel or the barrel is otherwise rusty or pitted, but why do it if your barrel is in good condition? Check out the videos from Idaho Lewis, he posted some on the forum recently. He can also be found on YouTube shooting factory and custom barrels. He has spent a lot of time pushing the limits of the traditional style Thompson Center muzzleloaders. Be sure to subscribe to his channel if you like what you see.

As far as the factory T/C flintlocks go, my wife has a white mountain that we purchased in the early 90's as a novelty item, we haven't had much trouble with it...haven't shot it all that much either. I bought and sold a few flintlock Renegades over the years and shot them some without great disappointment or outstanding success. It was 2 years ago when I put together a Flintlock Renegade from parts when I started shooting flintlock on a regular basis. I couldn't find a T/C lock, so I purchased a Lyman Flintlock of off a popular internet auction site (listed as older Lyman flintlock). It fit pretty well with only some minor inletting. I can say that I am completely satisfied with the rifle, it shoots well and functions nearly flawlessly. Using a stainless vent liner from Track of the Wolf, the rifle has fired 18 times without cleaning between a single shot, just shoving the crude back into the barrel attempting to get it to fail and the lock has the same flint in place with over 50 shots. Much better than the 3 to 5 shots with the factory configuration. I have purchased an L&R RPL lock and a .58 cal Green Mountain barrel for my next Renegade project, but have yet to get started on it. If your still not satisfied with your factory lock you may look at the L&R RPL locks.

Latest posts

Back