• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Upgrade replacement for CVA lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have CVA flintlock that I like but the lock is a little weak. Whose replacement lock gives the best spark for the buck? Thanks
Can't answer about a replacement lock. Why not replace the mainspring, provided the lock is OK?
Much cheaper to replace a spring than a lock.

When I said weak I meant spark not spring. It's Ok but I expect to shoot it more and don't want to fiddle around with frizzen hardening or changing cock angle to get reliability. I just one that works so I'll try L&R. Sold off some high buck unmentionables so have a few bucks to burn on more black powder stuff :thumb: Thanks for the answers guys.

Definitely go with the L&R. I wouldn't even consider fixing the present lock or replacing it with another CVA of the same type, those early CVA flintlocks were pretty poor.

When I said weak I meant spark not spring.

Several CVA flints have went by me from the 70's. I have hardened the frizzens on them, I have case hardened them. Actually the lock isn't a bad lock, but has a soft frizzen. I have had them get too hard and snap like glass, so be careful and study on the subject of hardening.

I’m pretty sure the new traditions locks are very similar if not the same as the old cva locks. A new traditions frizzen is about $20 online. The new frizzens spark really well in my experience. With a little fitting a new traditions frizzen my bring your lock back to life.

On my first long rifle, I used a small Dixie lock, similar to the CVA lock. The threads on some screws wore over time and would not stay tight. I got the L&R replacement lock. Some minor woodworking was needed to fit the new lock. I am getting good spark with the new lock. Overall , a better looking lock.

I replaced my Traditions lock with an L and R RPL... then I replaced that stupid 2 piece stock, in fact all that’s left is the buttplate and barrel... shoots as good as it looks now!

Latest posts

Back