• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Update on the Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Chiggins

36 Cl.
Reaction score
For those following my finish/browning threads, I've almost finished both tasks am posting both updates here.
The permalyn didnt turn out how I expected(process wise). I finished 3 coats(after the sealer) and planned on steel wooling and doing the final "finishing" coat with the sealer as per the instructions.. the 0000 steel wool did not seem to cooperate XL, and I could not get an even "sand"(I use parenthesis because it was unintentional). I wanted to just even the coat and smooth everything down in prep for the final finish, but from the beginning, it seemed to work against me in the task of evening. I ended up scuffing an even surface across the stock with 0000, then rubbing rigorously with my palm(which worked for a spell at evening the look of the finish), then moved to a standard weave rag, then to my wife's plush pajamas (which was what ultimately convinced me to not do a final coat). I am sitting very happy with the look which is somewhere between semi-gloss and satin finish(the prepped version wasnt perfect, but for what I started with I'm very happy). Still going to apply wax after 2-3 days of drying, so we'll see how that looks.

I decided to disassemble the trigger assembly and lock and brown all visible components. The lock and hammer are taking FOREVER to take to browning. I've put 5-6 coats on, and it appears I will run out of solution before I get an even brown on both! Any tips??

...then to my wife's plush pajamas (which was what ultimately convinced me to not do a final coat)...Hmmm, I think my wife would be the one convincing me that my rifle building was at an end...perhaps permanently.

The lock and hammer are taking FOREVER to take to browning. I've put 5-6 coats on, and it appears I will run out of solution before I get an even brown on both! Any tips??
I suspect the lock and hammer were case hardened, which would make them a bugger to either blue or brown. You almost have to file/sand through the case hardening first. It is not especially deep, but in addition to color, it obviously adds some hardness to the metal, which is not a bad thing.

...then to my wife's plush pajamas (which was what ultimately convinced me to not do a final coat)...Hmmm, I think my wife would be the one convincing me that my rifle building was at an end...perhaps permanently.

The lock and hammer are taking FOREVER to take to browning. I've put 5-6 coats on, and it appears I will run out of solution before I get an even brown on both! Any tips??
I suspect the lock and hammer were case hardened, which would make them a bugger to either blue or brown. You almost have to file/sand through the case hardening first. It is not especially deep, but in addition to color, it obviously adds some hardness to the metal, which is not a bad thing.
Oh yes :thumb: I found a good one, wasnt even mad coming downstairs with me polishing on the couch hours after I looked up the msds of permalyn and had a discussion with her about the carcinigenity of the ingredients. I digress...I actually did sand the lock plate 400-000 steel. I might be too stubborn to quit till I run out

On that, does anyone know if it's better to keep applying the solution, or just let it keep rusting while increasing humidity(last session was 8+hours)?

Latest posts

Back