• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UPDATE golden age arms 32cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to say thanks for all the help and info you guys gave. I took it all in and used some of everything and i have to say that i'am a lot closer to having this rifle shooting the way it should. I got rid of the hoppe's and tried out some bees wax and olive oil for patch lube, I also used a ball and patch attached to a range rod to check the bore for burs. Then I also wrapped a old brass brush with steel wool and cleaned the bore with it till my arm fell off or close to it. Anyway took it to the range yesterday and this was the result of all the work now have to work on the sights. target is 25 yard bench rest 6 oclock hold. i think the patches still look weird any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
IMG_20200907_182145.jpgIMG_20200907_182032.jpg

Looks like we know your rifle likes 30g less than 25g Goex. Write your patch thickness and ball size on the target as well so you can refer back with all the info present. How thick are those patches and which ball size did you use? The patches look 'ok' to me.

Looks good. You may get a bit better performance out of .020 instead of .018 with a .310 ball and your patches will be a bit more intact. You could even try .315's with .018's or .020's as .32's are pretty easy to load regardless of the combo. Try a set of 5 shots with the patches sopping wet vs with just the outside lubed as well. Sometimes that makes a difference with small bores. Good shooting.

Patches look like the right size to me. Just frayed allot. You might try some even lighter charges to see how they work. 32 doesn't take much powder, people often like 15gr or even 10.

WEIGH YOUR ROUNDBALLS! My groups shrunk dramatically when I started doing that. Keep them all close to the same weight, toss the light ones.

The patches appear burned more than they should be. Try thicker material; I use .024" canvas with a .311" ball for great accuracy.

I would try a 15 or max 20 grain load these small bores often shoot well with a light load which is still adequate to shoot small game out to 30 or 40 yards. I shoot Hoppes and Mink oil as lubes in my small bores and cant tell any difference. I probably shoot 500-700 rounds a month between 5 small bore guns and none of them require more than a 20 grain load for excellent accuracy out to 40 yards which is as far as I need them to shoot.

I would try a 15 or max 20 grain load these small bores often shoot well with a light load which is still adequate to shoot small game out to 30 or 40 yards. I shoot Hoppes and Mink oil as lubes in my small bores and cant tell any difference. I probably shoot 500-700 rounds a month between 5 small bore guns and none of them require more than a 20 grain load for excellent accuracy out to 40 yards which is as far as I need them to shoot.
I have a golden age .32 built by rod England a few years back. I presume you have a green mountain barrel like mine. I shoot a
.020 sail cloth from Joanne Fabricks. Can't see any daylight through it. Wash and shrink it in the drier. I am shooting a stentz mould throwing a .0320 ball . Must have a good lube for this combination.I make and use 3/1 tallow to bees wax. Goex powder has been my choice for many years.27.3grs is what I use .If it is a new barrel it might take a few shots to break her in. Alot of clubs hate to see me coming because I win alot. I am lucky enough to have a range at my house shoot every day rain or shine . Shoot offhand through a window from a heated and AC'd workshop . Should say .320 ball I also cut my patches at the muzzle .Your patch and ball combination look way too loose. Hopped is a great bore solvent but you need something better for the tight load.Good Luck and let us know how this shoots.

Patches look like the right size to me. Just frayed allot. You might try some even lighter charges to see how they work. 32 doesn't take much powder, people often like 15gr or even 10.
I agree. I rarely shoot over 20 grains in mine and usually get the best accuracy with 15. Even 15 grains will flat tear up a squirrel if your shot is off. Love the 32. Good luck!

Back