Upcoming Wave of Classics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Without the resurgence of some form of the many "shoots" we once enjoyed, I fear the train has left the station. In my beginning days, factory-made repos were the exception. Many used the family's old "hog rifles" (handed-down heirlooms) at more-or-less formal contests held at county fairs, parish picnics, and fund-raising events where everyone was welcome. Those old originals were used by folks who many times saw them used by their parents and grandparents. Some were very good shots - men and women.

There were local legends, too. Shooters who nearly always "brought home the bacon". It was FUN, good natured ribbing, sometimes disagreements, etc. Load off your tailgate and shoot off a sturdy picnic table. Then came more and more factory guns, strangers, and new-fangled gadgets. Bib overalls morphed into cargo shorts and Jesus sandals. What once was a pleasant thing to do while the women watched the quilt auction got "serious" - old guys and old guns still won sometimes, but it wasn't the same.

Nearly all the "old guys" from those days are long gone. Ever so often their old guns show up at estate sales, but also on the internet - both at prices few of those old-timers could have imagined. If a "wave" of low-cost high quality muzzleloaders is coming (who's to say it isn't), it will be a surprise to me....happy times, good friends....

[
You're right. The NMLRA, by the way, is always supporting the idea of maintaining the "culture" of black powder shooting. People who can spare $50/yr. for their magazine & membership are helping to support this organization in Friendship, Indiana. They're kind of like the NRA for muzzleloaders. But with around 13,000 members, not "five million", although I wonder if that's the real figure anymore. Check out their magazine, Muzzle Blasts, on the newsstand where available.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m sorta worried that as us old guys die-off…there’s no newbies to keep it going after we’re gone. I would love to see a traditional BlackPowder Revival like there was back in the 70’s and early 80’s…those were truly Shinin Times for blackpowder.
I don’t see that ever happening. The younger crowd generally knows nothing about our colonial and frontier history except what they have been taught in schools about how the settlers and frontiersman were genocidal and racist. And some had slaves.
Not exactly the sort of things that generate interest amongst the young in the cultures, tools, methods, or weapons from those times. They never got the whole story.
Access to places to shoot gets tougher to find each year as well.

Last edited:

woodsnwater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Newbie here, I'm 54 and just getting into it to try to bring some excitement back into my hunting. I promise you I wouldn't be chasing squirrels with a modern weapon. I might even try to take a tender doe with my .40 this year.

Reaction score
Newbie here, I'm 54 and just getting into it to try to bring some excitement back into my hunting. I promise you I wouldn't be chasing squirrels with a modern weapon. I might even try to take a tender doe with my .40 this year.
I started hunting when I was about 9 in south TX Rio Grande Valley. It was wing shooting on white-winged and mourning dove. Kids and adults alike looked forward to the season every year. That was a lot of fun and pretty basic. I progressed into duck hunting and that was fun for a while until the feds made up all these rules about point system that made it confusing. I killed my first deer with a Marlin 336 30:30 open sights. I was about 12 then. I didn't hunt deer after that because the company my dad worked for quit providing the hunting lease. I then entered the Army in 1970. One tour in Vietnam as a crew chief/door gunner on a Huey. After I got out of the Army I had no desire to hunt nor handle a weapon. I was in my junior year of college fall semester when one of my friends asked if I wanted to go deer hunting. I didn't take a deer but started enjoying the outdoors again. It was about the solitude out in the woods that appealed to me. After college I went to work for TX as a wildlife biologist for 28 years then another 15 years of private consulting. During the 28 years I shot a lot of deer and other animals for research purposes. It got to where I did not enjoy that because it was not fair chase. Using high powered rifles was not really a challenge at the range I was shooting. During the early years with the state, I owned a CVA Hawken style .45 cal which I never could get it to shoot decent. I saved my coins and bought a TC Hawken kit and built that. That was enjoyable. I got so busy with a career that I sold the TC and didn't get interested again until about 3 years ago when I bought a used Lyman GPs in .50 cal. A little bit of tweaking the load and it shot well. Now it is a sickness. I own 2 Lyman GPs one is a flintlock. I also own a TC Renegade and a Traditions Scout that I bought for my wife to try out hoping she would take an interest in her retirement. Add to that my recent .54 caliber Hawken built by John Bergmann and now working on a Kibler SMR. My point is that slowing down is a good thing. Shooting black powder anything including cartridge makes you think and the hunting is a bonus. I am not into competing. I have my own range so get to shoot when I want to. By the way, I am 72. My biggest challenge is the out of focus rear sight.

I don't know if anyone has done a survey to see what the average age of our members is. I have a feeling Woodsnwater, that you are about average. Just my guess. When we are young and raising a family, it is hard to justify spending money on adult toys when food needs to be put on the table. Now that the kids are gone and we are retired, my wife and I have a few discretionary funds. Unfortunately the current federal administration is trying hard to reduce those funds. Nuff said.

Anyway, welcome to the sickness.

Reaction score
I've got two of my grandsons involved in shooting my sidelocks. I'm hoping I can interest at least some of the other five as well, though some are a bit too young. If we sit back and wait for schools or any other organizations to get them involved, the sport is doomed. It is sad that our public schools are becoming leftist indoctrination centers rather than institutions of learning. It is a profession I once loved.