• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unusual nipple drum!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could handle it, makes me wonder if a type of breech loading system.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Phil... Maybe some kind of breechloading mechanism for loose powder and ball. The little crank handle on the drum cover suggests it is made to be removed and replaced frequently, possibly for every shot. I'm wondering if it might be something like an upside-down Ferguson rifle but with percussion ignition. It appears the powder chamber is small, but the rifle is only .32 caliber, so a heavy powder charge would not be necessary. Maybe an experimental rook rifle, or something along that line.

I'm hoping some of our British and Continental friends will contribute their thoughts.

Notchy Bob

If a small powder charge were loaded into the drum, that could negate the need for swabbing for many shots.
That's a common complaint about shooting .32 rifles.
The coarse threads and relatively large diameter cover make it look more like a small breech plug than a clean out screw in both form and function.

Last edited:
Just a quick thanks to all for sharing your thoughts! I don’t have a clue. I like the idea of a small charge in the drum but sure seems inefficient. What is interesting to me is that it does not appear to be a self made modification. It seems that it is intentional. Hmmm, might have a museum piece here but without a history it leaves an empty feeling!

Another thought! A little charge of powder in the breach plug would expel a ball that had been rammed down the barrel without powder. Doubt that this is the purpose of the design but would probably work!

The hole is about the size of a bb but probably a bit smaller maybe #4shot. I have kind of convinced myself that the breach plug is designed to put a small charge in prior to screwing in the nipple drum. The purpose is to set the powder off in the barrel of course.
Why this design our guess as good as mine.

I would guess, like Notchy Bob mentioned, a rook rifle but what is interesting there seems no provision to carry a ramrod. The Schnabel forend is not conducive for ramrod entry. It is a real curiosity that I would love to personally visually inspect.

It does resemble a Folbert Parlor rifle. A small charge in the space under the nipple for the powder charge for indoor shooting? Fast reloading and no provision for ramrod not an issue. Great little rifle for drinking games and cigar smoking.

It does resemble a Folbert Parlor rifle. A small charge in the space under the nipple for the powder charge for indoor shooting? Fast reloading and no provision for ramrod not an issue. Great little rifle for drinking games and cigar smoking.
Open the windows!

Back