• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual Continental Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of two Continental percussion rifle not often seen .
Feltwad

The Schutzian Rifle
100_1045.JPG
100_1052.JPG

The Canton Snipers Rifle
100_1499.JPG
100_1521.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I know next to nothing about Scheutzen rifles. I'm not even sure how to spell it!

I always imagined that type of shooting was (is) done off-hand, and the drop of the buttstocks of both of these rifles would be consistent with that. However, these rifles have the appearance of great weight... A lot to hold up, off-hand. Any information you could provide regarding dimensions and weights of these rifles, as well as comments on Scheutzen rifles in general, would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Notchy Bob

Rifled barrels-what’s the calibers-rifle weight?
Thanks!
The weight of both of these guns is between 10 and 11 lb and both mike out at 20 bore and rifled , the Canton snipers rifle has a longer barrel the lock is typical percussion with a full and half cock and set triggers , The Schutzian has a octangle barrel and a different style of set trigger , For what reason of the reverse hammer i do not know I understand that they were shot has target rifles from a bench .
Feltwad
100_1061.JPG

Last edited:
The Schuetzen matches were shot off hand (standing). The heavy weight of the guns helped them to remain steady, on target much like modern target rifles.

Usually the targets were shot at a distance of about 200 yards.

This is a Schuetzen I built from Pecatonica River parts.
schutz 11.jpg

schut0001.jpg

SCHUTZEN-CASE1.jpg

schutzenlock.jpg

It is a .40 caliber gun with a specially made barrel for shooting paper patched bullets. The rifling is a 1:18 twist and it is very shallow.

The knob shown in the cased picture screws into the front of the trigger guard. In Schuetzen shooting, holding the elbow of the supporting hand against the body is allowed so the supporting hand supports the knob and locking your elbow against your body makes holding the rifle on target easier.
I don't know about the Schutezen in Feltwad's photo but the heavy butt plate on my Schuetzen offsets the weight of the barrel and places the center of gravity right about where the palm rest is.

To put the rifle weight into perspective, my US M1841 .54 weighs 10-1/2 pounds. I've hunted with it and killed deer but it's not a rifle to still hunt with. I would imagine the design of the Schuetzen balances that weight nicely.

Looking at the wrist set up it looks like they were designed NOT to grip.
With the first one there is a thumb rest and basically a vertical grip.
The second one has such a large grip and trigger guard it would be awkward at best to get your hand around.
Reminds me of a 3P rifle set up

Enclosed is a image of the left side of the Canton snipers rifle , the hook forward of the trigger guard just forward off that in the stock is a small circle which at some time has been filled in . I have often wondered if this was for the thumb of the left hand when the palm of the hand was situated to grip the gun just forward of the hook .
Feltwad
100_1518.JPG

Enclosed is a image of the left side of the Canton snipers rifle , the hook forward of the trigger guard just forward off that in the stock is a small circle which at some time has been filled in . I have often wondered if this was for the thumb of the left hand when the palm of the hand was situated to grip the gun just forward of the hook .
Feltwad
Looking at the wood grain around that circle.
Could it have just been a knot or flaw in the wood?

I think I read that the backward hammer was to negate any wiggle of the rifle as the hammer impacted the nipple, however small that force would be. I would love to see a photo of the inside of the lock.

I think I read that the backward hammer was to negate any wiggle of the rifle as the hammer impacted the nipple, however small that force would be. I would love to see a photo of the inside of the lock.
Yes that would be interesting.
I suppose it probably would not need to be too much different. The spring would pull up instead of down and the sear and notches would be cut upside down.
Or take a left hand back action lock and put the parts on a front action Right hand lock plate.

Latest posts

Back