• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unreliable Ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week, I took a buddy out shooting, and handed him my New Englander. After about 8 shots, we ran into an issue where the caps were popping, but no boom until you had went through 2-3 caps. Today I received my .54 caliber barrel for the gun, and wouldn't you know it, you have to snap 3-4 caps before the thing went off. Swapped out nipples, same thing. Switched from CCI Magnums to Remingtons, same thing. The caps are going, but there's something weird going on here. Anyone have any idea what my issue is?

The caps (both brands) are going off so the firing mechanism is not at fault. The nipple swap eliminated that issue. Two different barrels, the same problem. What does all that tell you? Are you swabbing between shots leaving the bore damp? Pushing fouling down into the breech? Are you using a sub or real black powder? Have you tried a fresh can of powder? Basically you have tried 2 different guns (well the same gun with 2 barrels), 2 different brands of caps and different nipples and the problem is following you.

Problem solved, 3rd nipples a charm! I robbed the nipple off my Hawken, had 3 problem free shots and called it a night!

Attachments

• A99FD7A7-3FAE-4F0D-84EA-7139F7FABF53.jpeg
    A99FD7A7-3FAE-4F0D-84EA-7139F7FABF53.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F388B3CE-EDF9-48D4-98A9-67E1BDD7CF56.jpeg
    F388B3CE-EDF9-48D4-98A9-67E1BDD7CF56.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Compared to misfires on every shot, it may not prove a cure, but it’s a hell of an improvement :) I’ll send you a pm if it occurs again so you can stay in the loop :)
But it wasn't on every shot because you said that on your first outing the problems started after 8 successful shots. Are you swabbing between shots? I find that on my rifles with a patent breech that if I swab all the way to the bottom, it clogs up with gunk and will fail to fire often. I swab about 3/4 of the way down now and it has been working well for me.

The caps (both brands) are going off so the firing mechanism is not at fault. The nipple swap eliminated that issue. Two different barrels, the same problem. What does all that tell you? Are you swabbing between shots leaving the bore damp? Pushing fouling down into the breech? Are you using a sub or real black powder? Have you tried a fresh can of powder? Basically you have tried 2 different guns (well the same gun with 2 barrels), 2 different brands of caps and different nipples and the problem is following you.
Swabbing between each shot with a spot of cleaner. Last week was an opened container of Pyrodex RS, today was a fresh can of Triple 7.

But it wasn't on every shot because you said that on your first outing the problems started after 8 successful shots. Are you swabbing between shots? I find that on my rifles with a patent breech that if I swab all the way to the bottom, it clogs up with gunk and will fail to fire often. I swab about 3/4 of the way down now and it has been working well for me.
True, it showed up after about 8 shots last week with the 50 cal barrel. Every shot today on the 54. Interesting thought about the 3/4 swab, I’ll give that a shot and see if it works for me.

Swabbing and not snapping caps afterwards gave me the same issues, even when following with a dry patch

I got tired of wasting caps so I started using the British target rifle method of pouring powder, seating a wool wad over the powder, swabbing the bore to the woold wad, then loading the patched ball or bullet. The wads help with accuracy and keeping the bore clean so there's no downside

I've ran into ignition issues with the RS. Switched to P and it stopped.
I’ve heard that before. Supposed to be the smaller grains can get into the fire channel. I’ve had great success just thumping the side of the rifle after I dump the charge down bore. . The English method described by @Stantheman86 works if you swab, which I always do shooting conicals and seldom do if shooting ball.

Had a similar problem with my Hawken and Tresco nipples. Brand new, they caused multiple misfires. I took the used up ones from my unmentionable and not a misfire since.
It's good to recycle!

Swabbing between each shot with a spot of cleaner. Last week was an opened container of Pyrodex RS, today was a fresh can of Triple 7.
Not being critical of either, but I have had ignition issues with both Pyrodex and Triple 7 in the past. Not a lot of room for error. If you can obtain it, blackpowder seems a lot more forgiving when it comes to ignition, at least in my experience.

Compared to misfires on every shot, it may not prove a cure, but it’s a hell of an improvement :) I’ll send you a pm if it occurs again so you can stay in the loop :)
I apologize if my post sounded trite, it was meant in all sincerity. i hope you all the success in the world. never mind the pm. you will figure it out.

Last week, I took a buddy out shooting, and handed him my New Englander. After about 8 shots, we ran into an issue where the caps were popping, but no boom until you had went through 2-3 caps. Today I received my .54 caliber barrel for the gun, and wouldn't you know it, you have to snap 3-4 caps before the thing went off. Swapped out nipples, same thing. Switched from CCI Magnums to Remingtons, same thing. The caps are going, but there's something weird going on here. Anyone have any idea what my issue is?
Too much lube and pushing fouling down into breach. After each cleaning pop a cap or two on the unloaded barrel to blow out any residue. Point it at the ground and make sure you see the grass or leaves move, then you will know it is clear of obstruction in the flash channel.

You also might swab with some alcohol before starting a range session and run a little out the nipple to make sure there isn’t oil residue in the barrel and at least snap one cap with the barrel pointed close to some leaves or grass to see all is clear.

Back