• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloading Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfpdlt

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloaders and took my smoothbore flintlock hunting for the first time today. Since I will not be hunting for 2 weeks I decided to pull the ball and unload after doing some research. I did not fire the charge after hunting because I did not want to clean it and figured it would be a good chance to learn how to do it (I did empty the pan and plug the touchhole before bringing it home). Reading on the process, pull the ball and dump the powder, done. That went easy enough, but when I dumped the powder it did not seem like a full charge. So I ran a patch down the bore to the breech and and it came out with powder caked on it. More and more patches and tow, same thing, still pulling powder off the breech face. Next time I will just fire it, the cleanup is less work and firing it is more fun. I am glad I did not just dump it and call it good.

I ran a patch down the bore to the breech and and it came out with powder caked on it. More and more patches and tow, same thing, still pulling powder off the breech face.
Guessing you had oil residue from last time you cleaned the gun. Oil residue or moisture will cause powder to clump. Still easier to clean than after shooting the gun. Make sure your bore is clean clean and dry before loading, at least in my opinion.

Yes, if you lubricate the firearm before storing between shooting times, then you need to wipe the bore with a very wet rubbing alcohol soaked patch to remove as much of the oils as possible. If you have a chambered breech (CVA, Traditions, Lyman, T/C and others), even the alcohol patch won't remove all the oil so be aware of your breech when unloading.

Just shoot it. If you’re using real black powder, it isn’t that hard to clean after one shot.

Latest posts

Back