• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unkown Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RJDH said:
G'day Gordon,

Yes, with the swivel it does look like a trip gun.

Only thing is the double rings on those rods, as if it could be fired from either direction. Made me think "alarm". It Would be alarming, especially if you were looking at the business end when she let fly!

Lars,
Check that 'stock ' out, as it may well be ash or something, maybe elm. A lot of these were built by blacksmiths so 'proper' wood wasn't used. Even birch would do, and I know you grow that!

I'd check past auctions for price.

Richard, (Pukka, Gordon)
The gun in question is what is called a trip wire gun ,most were in flintlock and were used by game keepers against poachers but they were also used in grave yards against grave robbers . They were set at about 3 foot from the ground , most had three rings on the end of the firing system which had wires attached across foot paths in different direction .The gun worked on a swivel so when a poacher walked against the wire the gun swung in that direction and fired These guns became illegal in around I think 1824 ,although they did not kill the victim many did die later with gangrene and many lost their man hood. A gruesome bit of kit [see image]
Feltwad

Trip Wire Gun

Back