• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unknown single barrel Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nipple thread should read 6 worn or made as 6.6 X 0.75 mm.
Possibly someone like Pedersoli May have it as a standard..OLD DOG..
Try tack of the wolf might have what your looking for it could be 1/4 28 inch I am a gun smith work on this kind of thing a lot I haverun into this quite often at some point years ago some one changed the orignal nipple with a nipple they had

Would I need to re thread the bolster? I’m probably just going to take it to Friendship and see what I can find

So I scotch brightened the bore, still getting light brown on cleaning patches but better, I used ballistol water concoction on the scour pads. There is some superficial pitting but nothing that would keep you from firing . Keeping the bore wet with ballistol seems to keep loosening the crud I run a few pieces of cut up t shirt through when I get home then oil and stick in corner. I’ll find a nipple at friendship and probably play a little

This style smooth bore was shown to me by my cousin , and the first m/l I ever shot. Was about 1963 , and cousin Allen (RIP) loaded it up and I shot it at a puddle of water. Was never the same since. The boom , smoke , and mild recoil. Next , my relatives shared the Dixie Gun Works Catalog , where the shot gun was purchased. By 1970 , building m/l's was a life long hobby. I recommend it......oldwood

Try tack of the wolf might have what your looking for it could be 1/4 28 inch I am a gun smith work on this kind of thing a lot I haverun into this quite often at some point years ago some one changed the orignal nipple with a nipple they had
As a gun smith, not Gun Maker- Stelle and Harrison is a Good place for you to start your New learning. European Gun makers worked to the Code Napolean and worked in the metric system. It appears you have a lot to learn about the European Industry..The British Industry Set it's own standards as did your ancesterers in what you call GODS OWN COUNTRY. OLD DOG

This thing has a long barrel I was impressed by how it handled. Is there any way to find out who made it?

Quite the contrary old shotguns such as these were sold in this country by hundreds back in the day changed hands many times and suffered hard use abuse and neglect and repaired by a who knows and often in the case with what could made to work nothing to do with Napoloen The Belgian gun makers guild set the standards in Belgium not Napoleon as far metric system you are right by that time the metric system was well established in Europe at that time .The original nipple was metric or should be it ether has the wrong nipple or the threads are stripped or the nipple bolster is stripped could be any or combination of all .What I usually do take measurements use a tread gauge to confirm what it actually is if the bolster threads are stripped then I re thread the bolster to next size nipple the problem fixed thats called gun smithing it dose not matter if your new nipple is 1/4 28 or metric it is a Belgian guild trade shotgun not a Stradivarius long as it safe and works .and I dont care about what dead Corsican Tyrant thinks

Last edited:
whats a load for 20 gauge that would be a starting point? I was thinking maybe 50 grains 2ffg using paper grocery bag material as wadding. What kind of a shot should I use? I have 7 shot but my shot flask is measured in drams on the spout I have no idea what that means

I squirrel hunt with a .62 caliber Fusil de Chasse. I use 65gr of 2f, a wad of wasp nest or brown paper, 65gr of #6 shot and topped off with another wad of wasp nest or brown paper. I prime with same powder. Never missed a squirrel yet and I’ve shot a bunch.

I squirrel hunt with a .62 caliber Fusil de Chasse. I use 65gr of 2f, a wad of wasp nest or brown paper, 65gr of #6 shot and topped off with another wad of wasp nest or brown paper. I prime with same powder. Never missed a squirrel yet and I’ve shot a bunch.

Thank you 🙏

One Dram of weight, as opposed to the Scottish measure of liquid, = 27.348 grains. Say 27gr to make it easy.

You could have looked it up, though, right? I bet you were just checking to see if any of us would tell you. ;)

This thing has a long barrel I was impressed by how it handled. Is there any way to find out who made it?

Probably not, given that there were at least five hundred gun-making/assembling workshops in Liége during the 19th century - maybe more. Without a name on the barrel you are sunk.

Even that might be a frawk, as Belgians made guns for hardware stores all over the place, especially the USA, and may have put their name of the top of the barrel. My 1902-issue Sears, Roebuck catalog(ue) shows dozens of guns like this one of yours, from as little as $4.95 even for a double-barrel item.

As I said here to learn and you all are good about sharing knowledge!! Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back