• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unknown rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have what looks like an old percussion rifle thats beat up a bit. It was my grandfather's, who passed back in 1996. It has since sat in my gun safe. Finally start to take a look at it. It has an octagonal barrel, looks to me like a percussion cap instead of a flintlock. I can barely make out the writing on the plate but it looks to say 305 H Glochek. Any help would be appreciated it. My grandfather never said anything about it.

You came to the right place... There are some very knowledgeable people here on this forum who would love to help you out. However, pictures are not just "nice," they are essential.

I would recommend full-length views of both sides of the rifle, and a clear and well-focused view of the lock/trigger/breech area, at minimum. If there are any stamps or markings of any kind, on the lock, barrel, or elsewhere, a clear picture of those would be helpful.

Do you think the lettering on the lock might say GOULCHER ? Goulcher was a prolific lock-maker, and most gun builders, at least in the percussion era, used ready-made locks, just as builders do now. If there is a name on the barrel, it might be more useful in identifying the maker.

Many regions or areas in the USA had more or less specific styles or patterns in stocking and mounting sporting rifles, and some styles evolved over time. If we could get a good look at the overall outline of the rifle, and images of the trigger guard and sieplate (opposite the lock), in addition to the views requested above, some of the experts here might be able to determine a likely time and place of manufacture, even if the specific maker is unknown.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Welcome to the forum.

Without seeing your rifle, it is just about impossible to give you any useful information. If you post some pictures of the gun showing an overall view, a close up of the lock, both sides of the stock butt and anything else that looks interesting it would help a lot.

Here's a link to a post that tells you about several ways of posting pictures on the forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/posting-a-picture-on-the-forum.115183/

Sorry! Here's a few pics. She's not in good shape and would need lots of restoration! And I looked closer it says, Josh Golcher

Attachments

• 20201225_230634.jpg
    20201225_230634.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 20201225_230559.jpg
    20201225_230559.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 20201225_230544.jpg
    20201225_230544.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 20201225_230538.jpg
    20201225_230538.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 20201225_230533.jpg
    20201225_230533.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 20201225_230524.jpg
    20201225_230524.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 245
I'm not an expert, but I would say you have a real prize there! I can't say what its value might be, but in my opinion, with this rifle's fullstock and full-sized patchbox, but what appears to be an original percussion lock, I would suggest some time in the second quarter of the 19th century as its date of manufacture. I would call it a "trade rifle," likely from one of the several manufacturers in Pennsylvania who made plain, sturdy rifles of this general type for the western trade, both in flintlock and percussion. Native people originally from the east, who had been "removed" to the west, showed a decided preference for rifles over smoothbores. Many rifles of this general type went to Indians, but a great many white pioneers used them, also. I can see your rifle is missing the side plate and it has certainly seen some use over the course of its life, but it is generally pretty intact. So many of these, over time, have been reduced to relics.

There were gunmakers in the west, notably the Torreys in Texas and Phillip Creamer in the Illinois/Missouri area, who made rifles of this general description, but I think the majority of these rifles came from Pennsylvania.

Regarding the lock, I think GOLCHER and GOULCHER are just alternate spellings. They produced thousands of these locks, which were used for original construction as well as replacements. Yours looks like a pretty good fit in its mortise, leading me to believe it is original to the rifle. If it is a replacement, the gunsmith did an unusually good job of fitting it to the existing inlet.

I would ask that you find an old-fashioned magnifying glass, and examine the top flat of the barrel very carefully, under good light. That's where you are most likely to find the riflemaker's name. As stated previously, the name on the lock will most likely be just the lockmaker. Most rifle builders of that period used ready-made locks, just as they do now.

These are my preliminary thoughts. There are people here who know a lot more about this sort of thing than I do. I will look forward to reading their comments.

That one is a keeper!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

The use of everyday blackboard chalk or baby powder lightly (very lightly) rubbed on the lock and top of barrel then wiped down with tissue can help with identifying script and other carving. The patch box may also have a name on the backside. What ever you do...do not attempt to clean it with harsh chemicals or other what-nots.

Best thing, right now, is NOT to attempt to clean - it full stop. That is, until you know a LOT more about it. There was a thread going here a couple of weeks ago about the apparent lack of original firearms in the USA, well, Sir, this looks like it might well be one of those rare items, a really real original from the 1840's or 50's. Right now it looks pretty dire, but that is history manifested right there, and deserves great care and attention.

I've seen at first-paw the results of enthusiastic 'cleaning' of an older rifle, in this case a two-digit Winchester Model of 1894 - first of the all-steel models, reduced from being a five-thousand dollar ultra-rarity to a fifteen-hundred dollar modern-day lookalike that just happened to have a low number.

Based on the depth of curvature in the buttplate and the percussion lock I would guess the rifle was made sometime in the 1840-1860 time frame.

It's a nice rifle so don't try to do any refinishing to it.

Golcher are inexpensive Birmingham' export locks adequate enough for most purposes .I agree DONT go at it cack handed seek knowledgable advise & your on the right forum for that it warrents careful restoration .
Rudyard

yes they sold lock's to all of the gunsmith's / gun makers. and did not make complete gun's.

Back