• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown precussion pistol with half octagonal / half round barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougO

32 Cal
Reaction score
Any help on identifying this percussion pistol would be appreciated. It has an 'R C' and 'LF' stamps on the bottom of the barrel.

IMG_7027.JPG
IMG_7030.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG
IMG_7029.JPG

Any thoughts even on country of origin, time period, value, etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you Sam and Bob. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

I also agree that it looks to be a French pistol, possibly one of a pair of dueling pistols. I recently got to inspect a nice pair of French dueling pistols that were very similar in design, with the same shaped handle and carving on the front of the stock.

Most members paging in are on target as I don't ever recall owning a set of numbered target pistols & most also feature set-triggers as well.
The style of your numbered ornate pistol with the fluted grip was likely part of an ornate set of French duelers being it has the number 2 on the tang & is likely rifled.
Below are two French pistols in my collection of shooters. The top pistol is a French dueler in .53 cal. with rifled bore & the lower pistol that resembles yours is in a military caliber of .70 cal. with rifled bore with a lanyard ring. This pistol was a special order made for an officer so he could shoot standard military round balls & get better range accuracy with the rifled bore.
IMG_20210322_153529~2.jpg

These were target pistols. Dueling was very frowned upon at that time in Europe, too many talented officers were being killed!

Back