• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a lot at an auction, and this little gem was included. It's a ship scene. I want to keep it to use. The rest of the lot isn't impressive. There's no attachment on the large end, and no plug on the small end.

Anyone have any thoughts, or information?

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_174547317.jpg
    IMG_20210320_174547317.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210320_174533428.jpg
    IMG_20210320_174533428.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 157
I have this old time bi-color pen and ink drawing of two m/l hunters kneeling by a log , calling a turkey . the guy with the percussion long rifle had an old time canvas coat w/ big pockets . One pocket has the end of a powder horn sticking out of it. Looks a lot like the size powder horn shown above and the end plug has no strap staple. Could'a been circa 1850.
This one shown above has good old time construction and very nice old original patina. ...........oldwood

My thought is: That's a darn fine powderhorn…...

It's easy enough to make up a staple from a twisted nail and a spout plug from a violin tuning peg/key

violin-tuning-peg.jpg

My opinion is that this horn was probably made in the 1950’s or around that time period. The base plug has no wood shrinkage and the horn where it meets the base plug Looks to be in good shape. Also most master Horner’s of the day made thier base plugs so that when inserted would not expand the Horn. If you look at yours you can see where base plug is too large and expands the walls of the horn. Some of my early horns have this. Just some observations on my part and my opinion, still a great horn that I would be proud to own!

Last edited:
i shape the cones to fit the Horn I’ve selected to work with. If the horn starts to bulge, I go no further and pull it, then file the cone until the bulge is gone. When the bulge is indeed gone, then I push it all the way in.

Without the benefit of examining the horn in the flesh, I feel that this is a good antique horn, not a modern-day recreation. If it were mine, I would let it enjoy a long and well-deserved retirement. If you use this horn it will get scratched and dinged; why risk damage when modern-made horns with no historical value are inexpensive and easily available?
Some people feel that keeping a little bit of black powder in an old horn (with a stopper in place, of course) helps protect the horn from the insects that like to chew on the material. Otherwise the horn can be stored in a closed container.
Nice find! The horn has pleasing proportions, and even modest engraving is always a plus.

Thanks everyone! @Grenadier1758, you are correct. There is a single hole in the plug, but it's round. There are no other marks, that I can see, that would indicate that a staple was used.

I guess I'll have to reconsider putting this back in service.

My opinion is that this horn was probably made in the 1950’s or around that time period. The base plug has no wood shrinkage and the horn where it meets the base plug Looks to be in good shape. Also most master Horner’s of the day made thier base plugs so that when inserted would not expand the Horn. If you look at yours you can see where base plug is too large and expands the walls of the horn. Some of my early horns have this. Just some observations on my part and my opinion, still a great horn that I would be proud to own!

The horn is indeed bulged.

Last edited:
That's a really neat horn, and the scrimshaw makes it special.

I got a small original horn years ago. It also had no spout plug and whatever method of attaching a strap there was is gone, now, leaving a hole. The butt end of the horn and the butt plug were obviously whittled out by hand with a knife, and it was fastened in with square nails. I decided not to attach a strap, just carry it in my pouch, and that has worked very well. I thought about a violin peg as a plug, but decided something more rustic would suit the old horn better, so I just whittled one out of a twig. I've been pleased with it.
old_hornE.jpg

old_hornG.jpg

old_hornJ.JPG

Spence

There were some other horns in the lot that were not in as good condition as this one, and one that appears to be more modern. That one has a plug that seems to be glued in like the horn was for display. One appears to be pretty old and has significant shrinkage of the base plug, and cracks around the small end. One apperas to be from a goat, and is missing it's plug. Maybe I should try my hand at sprucing some of these up.

If anyone is interested I can post photos of them.

I’d like to see them, I love old horns... even modern horns.. well any horns for that matter! I enjoy making and repairing old horns, its relaxing to me. So seeing original horns and modern horns that others have made keeps the ideas churning!

I bought a lot at an auction, and this little gem was included. It's a ship scene. I want to keep it to use. The rest of the lot isn't impressive. There's no attachment on the large end, and no plug on the small end.

Anyone have any thoughts, or information?
depending on the legenth, it could very well be a DAY, POCKET HORN. they didn't need a staple to carry it as it was carried in the hunters pocket, or hunting pouch. not slung over the shoulder.

Back