• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unknown Flintlock Pistol - Help needed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieransephos

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently purchased this piece from an antiques shop and am having trouble identifying it.

I cannot tell if this is a reproduction that has been "aged" or an original.

There are no clear markings on the body of the firearm, see images, but it is quite embellished and I would assume more practical as an ornamental piece - judging by the lack of ramrod.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am contacting the seller so will update this with any info I can when they get back to me.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5201.JPG
    IMG_5201.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5202.JPG
    IMG_5202.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_5206.JPG
    IMG_5206.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5212.JPG
    IMG_5212.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5215.JPG
    IMG_5215.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_E5212.JPG
    IMG_E5212.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 183
It is an incredible caricature wall-hanger intended for part of the wall that is usually in darkness, or at least deep gloom.

I remain astounded that anybody could possible mistake this object for a real firearm.

Here is a genuine article of the same genre -

1631992709996.png

It is an incredibly caricature wall-hanger intended for part of the wall that is usually in darkness, or at least deep gloom.

I remain astounded that anybody could possible mistake this object for a real firearm.

View attachment 94646
Thank you for your contribution, I apologise that my knowledge is not up to the standard you would expect.

I had assumed that as the lock mechanism was functional and a touchhole bored that it was an actual firearm, and its age caused the wear and tear, but I am happy to be corrected.
I'll use this knowledge in future to know when I am looking at genuine articles.

Have a good day!

It is an incredible caricature wall-hanger intended for part of the wall that is usually in darkness, or at least deep gloom.

View attachment 94646
Yep I hate to agree and disappointment the OP but that is a genuine Hobby Lobby piece.

I think the barrel really shows it was not meant for use, but stylistically it is not out of line with with plenty of Ottoman flintlocks which can range from exquisite to (frankly) rough.

I think the barrel really shows it was not meant for use, but stylistically it is not out of line with with plenty of Ottoman flintlocks which can range from exquisite to (frankly) rough.
This is what I had first thought, but wasn't entirely sure.

I didn't say this in my first post and probably should have but by this time you have the idea.....Don't try and fire that pistol.
Of course not, I would never fire anything I got from an antiques shop without research into what I bought first, especially so without a gunsmith's opinion on it first.

the style is reminiscent of what you might see from India during the 1960s (no slap at India ... they were making stuff which people bought, and thus supporting themselves - nothing wrong with that) ... i would not, of course, even dream of loading the thing...

hang it on the wall and when someone asks, "What? is that??" you can tell them that you saw it in a store and it looked so ugly and pitiful that you just had to have it.

conversation starter

Pretty sure that weld mark in the barrel is the seam in a water pipe. Go to a hardware store and look inside a pipe nipple. If the pipe is good quality the barrel would probably hold together but I bet the breechplug is welded rather than threaded. It's a great wallhanger and you can let your friends handle it at will. It might be a good idea to plug that touch hole somehow so no one tries to fire it in the future.

To be fair, until I'd been seriously into MLs for about a decade, had I seen this in some antique place I'd have thought it was a real gun. The crudeness would have just made me think it was made in a hut in some 3rd world location, sort of like the "Dane" guns so common in parts of Africa. :thumb:

Agree with the comments above. The pistol was made as a non-shooting gun for the Tourist trade. Just a decorator souvenir. There are literally hundreds of them spread out all over Europe and North America. The O/P pistol is one of the most common encountered. A generic copy of the Ottoman style flint pistols that were so prevalent in the Region during the first half of the 19th Century. This one was probably made during the 1970's or later. The copies made during the 1960's and earlier show much better workmanship, but are also just decorator pieces. It's good the O/P posted the pistol on this Forum so that it could be properly identified as a decorator only piece. Nothing lost. Here are a couple pics of others. They show up everywhere for sale.

Rick
pix789277097 (Medium).jpg
pix306817696 (Medium) (Small).jpg
pix246229838 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Agree with the comments above. The pistol was made as a non-shooting gun for the Tourist trade. Just a decorator souvenir. There are literally hundreds of them spread out all over Europe and North America. The O/P pistol is one of the most common encountered. A generic copy of the Ottoman style flint pistols that were so prevalent in the Region during the first half of the 19th Century. This one was probably made during the 1970's or later. The copies made during the 1960's and earlier show much better workmanship, but are also just decorator pieces. It's good the O/P posted the pistol on this Forum so that it could be properly identified as a decorator only piece. Nothing lost. Here are a couple pics of others. They show up everywhere for sale.

RickView attachment 94765View attachment 94766View attachment 94767
Thanks very much for some more detailed information, I appreciate your research into this.
Forums like these are excellent places for collaborative discussion and I am glad I posted here, though I think some comments can be more helpful than others.

Thank you all for your comments so far!

Back