• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unknown .45 cal toy/repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found another princess needing some love. I'm gonna give her a going over and continue what I find. Here's the first pics, more to come later.
Yeah, I know, camera still sucks.
20191102_144833 (2).jpg
20191102_144916 (2).jpg

Right now you know what I know. All I can find right now is.....
Cal .45 505 or....
Cal .45 SOS.

*edit* It's Cal .45 505

Ok boys, I'm going in. Be back later (hopefully) with a good find and pics.

Last edited:
So after looking with Google and such I'm still lost. Anybody able to interject with the # 23 included? I'm assuming it's a kit but even then makers brand them. I don't know and She can't tell me anymore. 20191102_185900 (2).jpg20191102_185919.jpg
20191102_191700 (2).jpg 20191102_191716 (2).jpg20191102_190019 (2).jpg

I'm throwing out this is a one off build with parts some one had on hand. The hooked breech and 505 are the real teasers for me. It is a real mystery and a very nice pistol. Have fun with it.

The 23 is an assembly number to match the barrel to the stock and lock. Because of that and the finish on the wood I doubt it's a kit gun. Lug for the wedge is welded to the barrel. The lack of proof marks stumps me. It looks to be a decent quality gun for an inexpensive 70's (?) import. Strip the varnish, stain and oil the stock and it would be quite attractive. Does that half cock notch hold?

I found another princess needing some love. I'm gonna give her a going over and continue what I find. Here's the first pics, more to come later.
Yeah, I know, camera still sucks.View attachment 17875 View attachment 17876
I like to re-work pistols like that. Brown the bbl., strip & re-finish stock, tighten and go over the whole thing. Thanks for posting, looks like you'll have fun with this. Appears to be .40 or .45 cal.

A good stripper is CITRUS STRIP. Takes old varnish and stain off pretty quickly. Be careful though. I found that gloves are a must and standard surgical type gloves ( the common blue type )will not hold up to it. You need a better type that is acid resistent and make sure you are well ventilated.
DL

A good stripper is CITRUS STRIP. Takes old varnish and stain off pretty quickly. Be careful though. I found that gloves are a must and standard surgical type gloves ( the common blue type )will not hold up to it. You need a better type that is acid resistent and make sure you are well ventilated.
DL
I've used Citri Strip a lot. I do it outside where I can hang the item up; the drips, etc., are messy. (Newspapers to catch 'em). Have done at least three stocks, wipe with damp cloth to clean; soaking will warp wood. There's spray and bottle, spray is handier. If stock has modern "plastic" type finish, takes a couple or three treatments. Eye protection, too!

Cool find. I look all over around here for those fixer uppers with no luck. Can't wait to see how she turns out.

Hello Blogman,

I agree with Bigfoot, it looks like a production gun. The number 23 is a production number to keep parts matched up. Looks like it would make a nice side arm.

AntiqueSledMan.

Latest posts

Back